Chapter 26

Rohan Sarthak's POV:

One YEAR AND SOME MONTHS LATER.

"Wake up, you *******" I felt someone shouting at me. Groaning, I turned around to see why that arse was waking me up so early.

"Get up, R.S. Today, I want to reach to the university earlier," he screamed on me again, but seeing me not move, he kicked me hard on my butt, which landed me on the floor.

"What the ****, Ajay!" I shouted at him, coming to my senses. Then I watched him wear a white t-shirt with a denim jacket and get ready like a model. Well, he indeed looks good without all those extra grooming, but it was like he was going on a date.

"Get ready. I will be leaving in 10 minutes," he said in a rush and immediately turned around to face the mirror, which was covered with soot. What can we expect from hostel life? Definitely not a 5 star hotel-life amenities, right?

"What's happening? Why are you making such a fuss early in the morning?" I said him and went to open the door. As soon as I opened it, I saw all the boys jumping and running in excitement. For a moment, I thought, 'Did they get their degree certificate in 2nd year only?' Why are they this excited. 

Before I could ask Ajay what was happening, he started, "Today, our new academic year is commencing, which means we are getting juniors," he stressed on the last word," So everyone, especially every man, is waiting for new faces. That's why everyone is rushing to go to university and try to woo a girl, at least this year, or else we will have to wait one more year to see new faces."

And he went on venting out his frustration about how he remained single all year and how all mechanical guys got, or rather his words 'stole', most of the beautiful girls from our Computer Science batch. Even, I am studying CSE and Ajay is in the ECE branch. Fortunately, we had common syllabus in our first year, but now we have to study different classes. 

Still, I am happy to be studying here at Andhra University. The same place where my parents studied. Of course, today, only IITs are considered as a great place of learning, but to me, this place has always been the place I aimed to reach, and I finally did it. Though, sometimes, I don't enjoy it, yet I am happy to be here with my friend and without any nuisance. 

 Back to juniors topic, I personally have no interest in either girls or in ragging. Though we were ragged pretty bad, I have no intention of ragging any of my juniors, but Ajay is determined to live these moments to the fullest. He wants to do all sorts of teasing to satisfy his inner sadist. 

During our ragging period, he got the worst task to carry out as he didn't respect the seniors and ignored the tasks they had assigned. Therefore, as a double punishment the very next day, they made him stand near the entrance and announced him to be the brother of every girl in the college. This continued for more than a month. Every girl who entered  the campus addressed him as their brother, only then they were allowed to enter their classes.

And on the day of Raksha Bandhan, every girl came one after the other and tied those threads around his wrist. No matter how hard he tried to get away from them, they went after him and pleaded with him to let them tie it, or else the seniors would be angry on them. I still remember the count of Rakhis on both his hands, 153. Not only that, most of the girls call him as brother or 'Anna' (which means brother in Telugu) as they don't even know his name. That's the reason why he is looking forward to the freshers, especially the girls.

Finally, after his persuasion, we started the walk to our block. Unlike him and most other boys, I wore a simple outfit, which I usually wear. I really don't care about any such fuss, not after my bitter memory I have.

"How am I looking?" asked Ajay exuberance dripping from his tone while walking. We were walking quite fast as though we were going for our Semester exams. Well, we never went this fast for that either.