Chapter 3

Rohan Sarthak POV

Today, I was again late in reaching home. I dozed off my last period, and no one bothered to wake me up by the end of the school hours. Well, I can't blame them either. Had I made friends, at least a namesake one, they would have cared for me, but I have no friends or it is better to say that I didn't make any friends.

I came to this school last year. I was brought here by my Dad because he fearful of what would happen to me had I stayed back at our old place where I lost my mom.

Yes, I lost my mother, and it had been nearly 2 years, but it still feels like yesterday where I saw her struggle to live, fight with stomach cancer. That was the worst phase of my life because no life was left with me.

My father was scared for me, so he applied for a transfer in his office, and we arrived here. Even my father was depressed after my mother's demise, but I always put up a strong face only to help myself gain courage for him. He was my only family now, after all.

I didn't feel like mingling with others ever since the tragedy transpired. Though I was a complete introvert, it didn't mean I wasn't a carefree person. I was an ambivert before. I had only one friend in my old school, but I lost touch with him after I came here, though he does checks on me regularly.

Finally, I got up to leave, walking slowly, going out of our campus. But suddenly, I hiccupped, shock waves reverberating through my body. I tried to reach out for my bottle in my bag, but I couldn't feel it. Then I remembered that I left it in my classroom. I cursed myself for forgetting it because I needed to go back again.

I retraced my steps, still hiccupping. At the entrance of our corridor, I saw two girls sprinting at a furious speed looking like they had robbed something. Then one girl swerved left, and I saw the other girl coming towards me. Before I could fathom anything and make her some way to go she bumped into me.

Hitting her head on my chin, she hurt me, and before I could see her properly, she bent down. I think she didn't see my face, but I caught a slight glimpse of her. I felt like I have seen her somewhere, but before I could verify, she ran away, saying sorry. 

I watched her dart away, wearing our +1,+2 uniforms, and I concluded that she must be a junior. Then I have realized that my hiccups had suddenly stopped. Sighing in relief, I went to my classroom to fetch my water bottle.

I reached my home by 5 pm. Dad rented home rent near my school so that I wouldn't have any problem, but the home is far away from his office. So, he came home late on a daily basis but spent all his time with me once he was back.

I freshened up and sat down with my notebooks an hour later. Exams were only a few months away, post which I was supposed to leave this place. To boost me, I kept reminding myself how after the exams, I could go away. I wonder why I never felt this place as my place. Something or the other always bothered me there, or it might be because I did not have my mom's warmth and love engulfing me. My mom was never here and I don't like this place either. 

I came out all my thoughts and concentrated on the equations written in my Chemistry book. An average student, I preferred to mind my own business and tried to get good marks so that I could go to 'Andhra University' in Vizag- the university my Mom graduated from. Even my Dad studied there, and that is where the two of them met.

Yeah, theirs was a love cum arranged marriage. As my Mom and Dad belong to the same caste, my grandparents agreed to their marriage or else, I might have had someone else like my father.

I continued studying for two more hours, and by then, Dad came home. I went to help him make dinner, chatting all the time. He always asked me if I made any friends or not, how my day was and all. I could smile genuinely only when around with him. 

Then I went back to my room by 9 pm, and I was searching for my phone. It was actually my Mom's old phone, and I kept it with me, treasuring it as it was as precious as her memory. My Dad changed the name associated with the number to 'Rohan',  not adding my middle name.

Going through the notifications, I saw a missed call from an unknown number. Generally, only my family, Ajay, and school management had this number, and I only received calls and messages  from them. So, this felt odd to me because this not even a spam number. I searched for the number in Truecaller, and it showed the name 'Vishnu Vardhan Rao'.

I didn't know any such person. I checked the time, and it was 10 minutes past nine. I thought of calling back to that person.

So, I dialed the number, and the phone kept ringing for a long time. When I decided to disconnect it, someone answered the call.

"Hello," a female voice said.

I wondered who it could be.

So, will they talk to one another?

 What will they talk about?

Do they know that their lives are about to take a U-turn?

Will submit the next chapter soon.

VOTE AND COMMENT.

Thank You.