The New Monster

A battle cry rang out as the young mug snuck away from the casino entrance. The plan had only started and Mugman was already fearing that something would go wrong. What if one of his friends died in the fight? What if the Devil showed up and slaughtered everyone? What if the Devil was expecting the young mug to show up alone? There were just too many negative scenarios going through the child's head as he bolted for the Devil's lair. His heart was beating way too fast. And Mug realized this.

I have to stay calm. He kept repeating Dice's words. I can't help anyone if I can't control myself.

Be careful. We have to prepare for anything. It isn't likely that there's no one guarding your family. The demon explained.

Mugman stopped himself just outside the entrance to catch his breath. Sweat poured out over his body. The liquid in his mug nearly began to simmer.

It's now or never! Mug thought and took a deep breath. He then tore himself into the Devil's lair. His little body dove for hiding spots along the way. The young mug looked around from behind each object he used for cover to make sure that no one was around or appeared to be watching.

Mugman ducked behind a chest full of gold and gems. His little mug peered over the top to find the blood red throne empty. Just in front of it was his brother, chained to the ground by his wrists.

Poor Cuphead looked devoid of any hope. His whole body just slumped on the spot on which he sat. The red and white straw bent horribly over his brim that was tilted down so far that it was a wonder that all his liquid didn't come pouring out. Cup sat in absolute silence, not moving an inch. His eyes were closed as he continually wished he was home with his family. For he was certain that there was nothing that could make him happy anymore. He believed his brother to be dead and his guardian had been turned into a monster. How could his life get any more miserable?

Mugman took another cursory glance around before approaching his big brother.

"Psst! Cuphead! I'm here! I'm going to get you out of here!" The young mug said in a hushed voice. His brother's cup whipped up in utter shock at the voice he heard.

"Mugs! You're alive!" Cup gasped and began to sob tears of joy. The cup brothers immediately met one another's embrace and held on tightly.
"Sorry it took me so long, buddy!" Mug apologized as he pulled away and tried to examine the chains about the cup's wrists. But the cup child did not stay still. For he still tried to reach his sibling to make sure he wasn't dreaming. That the person standing in front of him wasn't a figment of his imagination. The cup's hands felt all over Mugman. He strained to get them high enough to touch his brother's mug.

"So long?" Cuphead repeated with tears still streaming down his face. "Mugman, I thought you were dead! I thought.....I thought that I....I killed you!"

The mug child nearly began to explain what happened when he realized that now was not the time for such explanations.

"I'll tell you about it later. Right now I need to get you out of here!" Mug still talked in a hushed voice. Dark blue magic was summoned to his hands. He attempted to melt through the chains with his otherworldly power. But it was no use. The metal seemed impenetrable to his abilities. Mugman grunted in annoyance and put away his magic.

"No, Mugs! You have to get out of here while you can!" Cuphead urged. "Go now! Before you get caught!"

"I'm not leaving here without you two!" Mug asserted. "Where's Elder Kettle?"

The young cup merely pointed a shaking finger into a dark corner. Mugman stared intently where his brother was pointing. From the darkness emerged a hunk of metal in the shape of their guardian. Smoke billowed out of its spout. Its black holes where its eyes should be emotionlessly stared the cup brothers down. A clawed glove brandished a large and thick sword toward the intruder. Mug yelped in fear and stumbled backwards as the hunk of metal shuffled forward. The heavy figure stumbled its way between the prisoner and the one who tried to free it.