Is This Heaven?

It was warm, his body all numb. Mug felt like he was lying on a water bed it was so squishy. It slowly pulsed him up and down. Was this heaven? Or Hell? He didn't know, but whatever it was seemed very inviting. Something firm gently nudged his cheek. His head rolled to the left, still feeling the comfy padding beneath him. A pounding started in his head. It grew into a tight knot that gave him a fierce headache. Desperate to know where he was and what was going on, Mugman tried to open his eyes. Blinding light came pouring in the moment they opened a slit. He squeezed them back shut, feeling like he had been robbed of his sight. This only seemed to make his head hurt even more.

"He's waking up!" A male voice exclaimed. The firm object nudged his mug yet again. "Come on, little friend. Just a little farther!"

Mugman tried to open his eyes again. The light was blinding. He quickly fluttered his small eyes open and closed in an attempt to get his sight back. Dark figures seemed to appear at the corners of his vision. They crowded around and seemed to get closer. Mug winced and pulled his head away from the unknown people that now surrounded him.

"Guys! Don't crowd him!" Said another, much younger, voice. The figures backed off a little as the young mug rolled his head back forward. He tried even harder to focus his vision. Mug wasn't sure if these people were friendly or not. The firm object came at him from the right a third time. It stayed resting on his cheek for a few seconds before pulling back. Mugman felt a warm breath puff onto him. It was then that he realized that it wasn't something touching him....it was someone! But who?

Mug turned his head to the right to try and focus on one thing at a time. A tan color came about the person as well as two nostrils. Mugman shook his head a little to try to get his sight better. The fierce headache sharpened with the movement, making him wince once again. Shape and color returned to the person's face. A green reptilian face with a tan muzzle smiled down at him. The young mug immediately recognized him as Grim Matchstick, the friendly dragon on Inkwell. And he was lying against the reptile's warm and exposed belly.

"How are you feeling, little buddy?" His bouncy voice asked the child. But Mug didn't answer. For he was confused at why Grim would possibly be in the afterlife. His mug turned back to the other figures that started to take shape. Color slowly returned to them as well. Mugman realized that he was surrounded by his friends: Hilda, Cagney, Djimmi, Werner, Rumor Honeybottoms, his vegetable neighbors, and even Spoonfred. There was no way they could all possibly be dead.

"Where....am I?" Mug asked, still very confused at what was going on. His throat felt very dry and could hardly speak, as if he hadn't used his voice in a long time.

"You're on Inkwell." Grim answered him. "You gave us all quite a scare." He cooed, rubbing his muzzle up against the boy.

We're....not dead? But how? Mugman's demon questioned, seeming just as confused as its host. At the mention of being dead, the mug child immediately looked down at his body. Lots and lots of bandages and wrapping covered his tender glass body. For it looked like he was partially mummified. The spot that concerned him the most was the puncture marks on his torso that his brother had made. He remembered how draining that wound had been, and how it sucked the life from him. Mug had seen so much blood leave his body. How could he not be dead after that? His curious fingers touched the bandages. Pain seared through his torso, causing tears to come to his eyes.

"Don't touch! It's still very susceptible to infection!" Cagney warned. Mugman tore his fingers away from the sensitive spot on his belly. He then did his best to sit himself up. His naked upper half reeked with aches and pains. Every part of his body screamed at him to sit still.

"Oh! You want to sit up! I'll help you!" Spoonfred offered and rushed to his side. The spoon gently grabbed ahold of the underside of the glass arms and hauled his friend up so that he could see everyone clearly. The utensil plopped next to the young mug and intended to stay there until told not to. For he liked the soft furnace that was Grim's belly too. Mug gave a nod of thanks to his peer and then looked to each one of his friends.