A Vision From Hell

Back at the house, Cuphead started a glorious fire within their fireplace. Mug inched himself as close to the fire as he could without burning himself. It still seemed not close enough for the child that had just been through a mini ice age. Chills still ran throughout his body. He visibly shook a little every few seconds. The young cup made sure his brother was wrapped in a warm towel to help even more. He sat watching the flames roar and spark in its rectangular prison.

Meanwhile, Cuphead and Elder Kettle discussed what their next steps were in the process of ridding their family member of the demon.

"What are we going to do now?" The young cup questioned.

"I have a plan." Kettle disclosed.

"Great! What's my role?" Cuphead urged, hoping that he could do something of real importance.

"I want you to stay with your brother." His guardian explained.

"What?!" The cup child gasped. "But I can help! I can-"

"No, Cuphead. I need you to stay here with your brother." A gloved hand was placed on Cup's shoulder. "Mugs needs you right now." Both of them glanced to where Mugman sat huddled up in a wooden chair as close to the fire as he could be.

"Okay, I will." Cuphead gave in, knowing his grandfather was right. "But what are you going to do?"

"I'm going out to talk with folks and see who can help us." Elder Kettle explained before opening the front door. "Just promise me that you'll keep your brother safe."

"I will, Elder Kettle. You can count on me!" The young cup made a fist in confidence and brought it to his chest.

"That's a good boy." The kettle chuckled. "I'll see you two soon." With that, Cuphead's grandfather closed the door, leaving the two boys home alone. The young cup then skipped over to the living room where his younger brother was still soaking in the heat.

"Hey Mugs, you feeling better?" Cup questioned, jumping onto the couch closest to the fireplace. The young cup laid down with arms crossed behind his head and feet crossed at his ankles. Mugman just stared intently at the flames, not answering him. "I guess you really like that fire, huh? I quite like it myself, too!" He admitted.

Mugman's eyes opened wide as he looked deep into the flames. Dark and suppressed memories of the Devil's pit flooded the child's mind. Screams of terror rang through his mug. All of the sounds of the lost souls came back to him all at once. The voices cried out for help, pleading for their very lives. Violent images from their last moments formed in the flames. Embers showed a girl getting decapitated, a turtle getting its shell ripped off, a spoon getting its head melted, and even a shape that looked like a young King Dice getting kicked around by the Devil. Images of horrible deaths kept coming faster and faster to the cup child. He thought his head was going to explode, but couldn't bring himself to pull his head away from the show that was entrancing him. The embers then converged into one large image. It was the one image that scared Mug the most: his demonic form shouting in rage as fire erupted from his mug. The young mug couldn't take it anymore and cried out in terror. His body lurched backward so fast that the chair toppled over. His towel fell off and lay under him. Mugman's glass body sprawled out on the floor as his older brother realized that something was seriously wrong.

"Mugs! What's wrong?" Cuphead immediately ran to his brother's side. "What happened?" Mugman breathed heavily as he lay on the ground. The back of his gloved hand wiped away beads of sweat on his mug. He then slowly sat up, recovering from the traumatizing flashback.

"It was a nightmare." The young mug said in all seriousness.

"A nightmare? But you weren't sleeping." Cuphead pointed out.

"Well, I guess you would call it a day-mare then." Mug re-worded his explanation. His nervous eyes looked back at the flames. Cup noticed this as his brother's gaze moved from himself to the fire.

"Would you like me to put the fire out?" He asked the younger cup.

"Yes, please." Mugman politely answered. The older cup stood up and made his way over to the fireplace. They normally kept a pail of water next to it in case they ever needed to douse it quickly for whatever reason. This just happened to be one of those times when they actually needed it. Cuphead tossed the water. The flames hissed as they died down. Residue smoke climbed up the chimney.

"There! Is that better?" Cup asked as he placed the pail down.

"Yeah." Mug replied as he bundled back up in his towel. "I-I just can't look at it anymore. Brings back memories I wasn't conscious of while I was....in Hell." He explained.

"What?!" Cuphead gasped, now beside himself with confusion. His straw stood straight up in the air. "You were in the fire?" This was also the first time Mugman realized that Cuphead wasn't aware that he had been tossed into the pit.

"Oh yeah, I guess you weren't aware of that since you were....still under the demon's influence at that time." The young mug stuttered out as his gaze fell away from his sibling.

"Hold up." Cup's hands flew up as if telling him to slow down. "Let me get this straight. You actually died?!" The young cup now gasped in terror at what he was hearing.

"Y-yeah." Was the reply that came from his brother. The two made eye contact. It was an intent stare from both of the brothers. The young cup felt confusion and shock, while Mugman felt guilt at the fact of keeping such a secret from him all this time. "But no worries, Cup! You saved me!" Mug tried to make it happy so that Cuphead wouldn't feel so bad. However, the older cup's body drooped in sorrow. His straw bent over his brim as he came down to his knees in front of his brother.

"I just wish I could remember something - anything - from my time being possessed. Why did I ever agree to such selfishness?" Tears flooded from the red cup's face. "Why is it that you remember what happens and I can't?" He asked the young mug.

"I don't know, Cuphead. I really don't know." Mugman answered.

"What is it like? You know, to be aware while in that state?" Cuphead's tears started to slow.

"It's kind of like a dream... A dream where control of my body is nearly impossible." Mug explained. "Believe me, it's better that you don't remember."

Unfortunately for me, I'll never forget, Mugman thought as his left hand found its way to his right arm that had been severely cracked by his demonic brother a few months ago. He remembered all the pain and fear that surrounded his memories within the Devil's lair. Oh, how the cup child had wished and prayed for death when the pain was unbearable, and when he had begged for his brother to hear him and have mercy. Cuphead realized that the mug was thinking that he will never forget any of these experiences with the demon. Especially the one when he was under the influence instead of Mugman. Back before it even knew a home in the mug's body. When it had a different host that wasn't aware of its actions.

"Don't worry, Mugs." Cup said, his gloved hand reached out for his brother's shoulder. "I'll do everything I can to help you get that thing out. We will get it out. I promise."

"Thanks, Cuphead." The young mug said with a nod. "And the sooner the better."

Elder Kettle returned that evening with good news. For tomorrow they were going to speak with someone who was an expert on all things magic. Djimmi the genie had spoken with Elder Kettle and said that he would be happy to diagnose the young mug and do what he can to separate the two. This gave the cup brothers hope. Especially Mugman, who wanted more than anything to be rid of this parasitic creature. To not have to worry about hurting his friends and family anymore. The boys fell asleep quickly that night, with faith that their problem would be solved by that time tomorrow.