Boys to the Rescue!

The two boys set off for the far end of Inkwell. Spoonfred's house was not too far from the cave that led straight to Inkwell Hell and the Devil's lair. They traveled southeast from their starting location and began to pass through the marketplace when Djimmi noticed them passing by Porkrind's Emporium. The orange genie rushed himself over to the child he was supposed to be keeping his eye on. Mugman stopped short when he saw the magical creature rushing towards him. Spoonfred fell in line with the other child's reaction. The utensil stayed behind Mug, silently hoping he wouldn't be questioned about his presence.

"Mugman!" The genie gasped in relief. "You had me worried sick!" Djimmi knelt down and placed his hands on the boy's shoulders to get across how scared he had been when the mug child had disappeared on him. His brown pipe hung down just like the corners of his mouth. "I didn't know where you'd gone or if I would find you before Elder Kettle did." He explained.

"I'm sorry for worrying you, Djimmi." Mug apologized. "I just thought you would be better off without me around to mess things up.

"Well, at least you're safe. That's all that matters." An orange hand gently cuffed the little mug's shoulder as the genie stood up. It was only then did Djimmi realize someone else was with him. And that specific someone was not on the list of people he trusted.

"What are you doing here?" He hissed at Spoonfred. The utensil merely shied away as his face flushed red.

"He's with me!" Mugman said sternly. He wanted to make sure the magical being understood that the little spoon wasn't going anywhere and that they had a mission to accomplish. "We're going to convince his father that bullying is no way to treat his son!" The young mug said this with such conviction that he surprised the ancient and wise genie that stood before him. Djimmi saw that determined look in his eyes. For he had seen that look many times. It was the expression that said he was fighting for a good cause and no one could sway him otherwise. Even Kiki pressed her body against the spoon's leg, showing that she was in for the long haul too.

"I know I can't stop you boys..... so I want to join you instead." Mugman's straw stood straight up in his head at the surprising response. He had expected the genie to deter him from hanging out with Spoonfred. "Unfair treatment has been around for even longer than I have. And I've never been able to stand it. If I can help even one person be freed from its iron grip, I will." Djimmi's gaze then fell to the spoon child. "I always knew your father was tough on you, but I didn't know he actually bullied you."

The utensil stood there with eyes wide with shock. Why were these people suddenly being so nice to him? For he had done nothing to deserve such kind treatment. Nonetheless, he tried to be thankful to his new friends. He had never had a reason to be thankful to anyone. It was unusual, and even a little hard, for the little spoon to act the opposite of how he was taught. For his father was never thankful for anything. There was always something to be improved upon, according to Forkington. To never be thankful for something that could be better.

"Th-thank you." Spoonfred stuttered out. It felt weird for his mouth to be saying those words. But at the same time, there was a warm feeling in his heart. He thought that, perhaps, the warm feeling was why Mugman had always urged him to do good instead of pranking and bullying.

Kiki left the spoon's leg and trotted over to her person, letting out a mew of greeting. Djimmi held out a hand to her as she head-butted it.

"Thanks for finding him, Kiki." The genie paused before remembering the very important news he needed to tell the mug child. "Oh, that reminds me! You weren't hallucinating, Mugman! Kiki won't even go near my puppet now. Whatever is following you can use physical objects to manifest itself."

"So that means it's not just toying with my mind." Mug realized. A single finger pressed against his cheek as he strained to understand what else that might imply. "That must mean it can also be chased away! But how....?" That was the big question he had been asking himself all along: how to get rid of it?