Problem Solving With Science

Morning seemed to come over the island bright and early that morning. Both brothers were groggy getting up. They slowly changed into their clothes and dragged themselves out of their bedroom. Brown boots almost squeaked against the ground as the boys slid them across the ground, not wanting to fully pick them up. The thought of getting the demon out of his body fueled Mugman to push that feeling aside and prepare himself for the day. Cuphead followed suite when his sibling's attitude changed to a positive tone.

After having a hearty breakfast, the family set out to find a cure for the young mug. Both cup brothers left the house with a smile on their face. However, Mugman's smile quickly disappeared when they saw their friends bustling about the island. The young mug felt hurt as each one of his beloved friends neglected to say hi and even shied away from him. They dared not make eye contact with the questionable child. Cuphead tried to make conversation with the boxing frogs, Ribby and Croaks. They tried to usher the cup child away from the mug while he talked to them. He almost went, but then thought better of it. If they weren't going to accept Mugman being around, then he didn't want to talk to them. The young mug's gaze swept to the ground as his brother came back to his side. He just couldn't look at anyone at that moment, not even Cuphead. The child swallowed hard as he held back tears of rejection.

I guess word travels quickly throughout the islands. They never witnessed what happened at the market. But I'm sure Cagney told them...

Mug's hope grew thinner as he moved farther and farther away from his house. There were residents in every direction that did not trust him and did everything they could to keep their distance from the child. One wrong word and it may transform into a monster again. And no one wanted that. It was painful enough for some of Inkwell's residents the first time. The rest did not need to experience it first-hand to realize how destructive the cup child could be.

Cup, Mug, and Elder Kettle entered the middle section of the island. Bon Bon quickly hid her soldiers in her living cake castle as they passed by. Its mouth, which served as the gate, quickly closed. They were all happy to be out of the little mug's path. Icing drooped down its towers as the eyes narrowed. A deep bellow emitted from the sentient castle. Mugman uncomfortably rubbed his arms with his hands. The hope within his heart declined until it felt as if it flatlined, refusing to try anymore.

His mug turned to the right as he heard a hammering noise coming from Beppi's circus. The red and blue clown was finishing hanging up a banner just outside its entrance. "Free Balloons Today!" It said. His large clown shoes climbed down the wooden ladder he was up on. Mug attempted to greet the normally cheerful clown. He thought that if anyone could laugh it off, it would be Beppi. His glass body approached the balloon-like clown as he attempted a toothless smile and clawless wave. The bouncy clown caught sight of the young mug. Its head shrunk to a skinny balloon as his body took a dive behind a building. It crawled back into the circus from whence it came, not making eye contact with the cup child. Mug's whole body drooped in sorrow as he realized that no one would talk to him. Even his straw bent down over his brim.

"Maybe I will be stuck with this thing forever...." The poor mug sobbed.

"No, you won't!" Cuphead spat back. "We just have to find the right person. Someone who will see past the incident at the market." He placed a sympathetic hand on his brother's back and gave it a gentle pat. Elder Kettle and Cuphead noticed a balding head poke out from behind a building. Its purple tufts of hair cocked to the side in curiosity. Eyes stared in a magnified fashion. Mugman finally looked up and saw the man, too. Then the scientist emerged from behind the structure. It barged right up to the young mug.

"Fascinating!" Dr. Kahl beamed. He stared Mug straight in the face, invading the child's personal space. A gloved hand grabbed Mug's arm and lifted it up. It squeezed a bit as it felt up and down his limb. The scientist thoroughly looked it over.