Home Sweet Mess

Mugman woke up in the evening to find Hilda and Spoonfred waiting for him. Above them was a sky tainted orange from the setting sun. It crept over the tall trees, peering down upon the island's residents. The insects were beginning to chirp noisily as they began their nighttime song.

The young utensil skipped forward and placed a basket full of fruits, vegetables, and breads in front of the mug.

"Here's some food for you, Mugman." Said the spoon. "I didn't know what you would be in the mood for, so I brought a bunch of different options." He then dug into the woven basket to showcase some of the hand-picked items. "We've got apples, bananas, celery, broccoli." Spoonfred then took another look at the vegetable in his hand and decided that one didn't look too appetizing after all. "Yick! I think we can skip that one!" He said and tossed it over his shoulder. Mugman laughed weakly at this reaction to the otherwise healthy food choice. The utensil then looked back to the mug child and realized that he was probably being melodramatic about his explanations. "I'm sorry. This is too much, isn't it?" Gloved fingers nervously scratched at his concave head.

"No. It's very thoughtful of you, Spoonfred." Mug said calmly.

"Oh, and I've got five cups of water for you." The young spoon turned around to bring up the bumblebee decorated cups filled with the quenching liquid. Mugman's eyes widened in a greedy desire to soothe his dry and scratchy throat as they were placed down in front of him. "Now I wouldn't suggest chugging these. We don't know how your body will react-" But before Spoonfred could finish his warning, Mug grabbed the first cup he could reach and gulped it down as fast as he could. He then repeated this with the four remaining cups. Mugman gave a sigh of relief when he was done. For it no longer felt like his voice would break if he tried to talk.

"Okay...." The utensil said, trailing off. Hilda then came up to the mug child and asked possibly the most important question at the moment.

"How are you feeling, Mugs?" She nervously rubbed her hands together in anticipation for what Mug might say.

"I'm not hurting too much at the moment. But I still feel pretty drained of my energy." He explained solemnly.

"Perhaps we should take a look at your wounds and see how they're healing." Grim suggested. Mugman and the other two nodded. The witch and the utensil boy helped Mug take off all his bandages and wrappings, starting with the few on his mug and then moving down to his shoulders and arms. They all tensed and cringed when each wrapping was about to be taken off. For they were scared at what they might see. Would they look bad? Or would they be much better by now thanks to the Miracle Heal? To their relief, most of the cracks and scratches had closed up and faded to mere scars at this point. Spoonfred was quite happy to witness that they were healing up nicely. However, both Hilda and Mugman knew that the worst one of all was still yet to come. The mug child swallowed hard as they moved down to where his belly had been punctured.

Mug watched as the female slowly started to lift his wrappings off. The fact that she was being slow only made the young mug even more nervous about how it was going to look. They all held their breath as the last of the wrappings were removed. The puncture points were all sealed up, but their scars were much worse than the rest. Their centers, where the holes had been, looked darkly colored from a mix of black and blue. The surrounding area of the glass skin was a bright white, indicating that his life essence pooled around these spots and was still trying to heal them. It also meant that this wound was still very irritated. Exposure to outside elements could affect the mug's health negatively.

"We better keep these ones on, Mugman." Hilda advised him and gently put the wrappings back in place. Mug shuddered as he remembered just how painful it was to be impaled by his brother's own claws, how his life seemed to flash before his eyes.