A Confession

Mug happily handed over the family picture. Elder Kettle's joyful expression immediately turned to a look of sadness and disbelief. "Where did you get this?" He asked in all seriousness. The world around them seemed to go silent. No kids running about or parents scolding them could be heard. Not even the smallest of insects made a peep.

"I might have stumbled onto your secret basement while I was cleaning." Mugman explained, nervously scratching his head. He noticed that his grandpa intently stared at the photo just like he had done. Mug instinctively knew that Kettle was sure to feel the same longing feeling at remembering the boys' parents. How could he not? The young mug cleared his throat before starting with his rapid-fire of questions. "There's so much cool stuff down there! How long were you a traveling warrior?"

"Oh, um..."

"Why haven't you ever mentioned it? Weren't you proud of all the things you did?"
"Yes, but-"

"What ever happened to your friend the faun?"

"Well, uh..."

Mug hopped back and forth while asking his questions. Kettle, on the other hand, was getting uncomfortable with where this conversation was going. He tried to escape from his grandson's torrent of questions, but Mugman was right on him and didn't let him escape eye contact for even a second. His spout tried to turn away multiple times, but the boy jumped about to block his grandpa's escape. No longer could he avoid the subject, Mug was convinced.

He's gonna have to tell me now! The little mug was literally bursting at the seams with excitement at getting answers. He was so close now!

"There's so many things you could teach me and Cuphead!"

Elder Kettle tried to turn away one last time as he nervously stroked his glass mustache. Mug noticed this and changed his tone.

"What's the matter with you? Why are you so scared of everything? Why are you so scared of me?" No longer did he sound excited. The young mug was starting to get agitated with Elder Kettle's behavior. Who was the real kid here?

Mugman's guardian froze up and started to sweat profusely. Almost like he was a ticking time bomb that was getting ready to explode.

"Please! I'm asking for the truth! I'm certain mom and dad wouldn't have kept secrets from us!"

Kettle squeezed his eyes shut and blurted out the first thing he thought of. The mention of the boys' parents caused him to break down.

"Your parents are gone! And it's all because of me!"

Mug's heart sank at his guardian's words. The child gasped and took a couple of steps back.

"Huh? Wh-what do you mean?" His mug cocked slightly to the side in a confused manner.

Kettle gave a depressed sigh as he realized he had kept the truth from the boys long enough. It just hurt having to revisit his past. In fact, it hurt a lot.

"Perhaps you should sit down, Mugman." The tan kettle went to sit down on a fallen tree. His boy hesitated to sit at first, but then slowly lowered himself down on the log a few feet away. A knot grew in both of their throats. Mug was terrified at what his guardian was going to say next. And Elder Kettle didn't know if he would find the right words to say. He wasn't sure there was any "right words" to say in this situation. But his grandson demanded the truth, so he had to try.

"You see, Mugman, David and I, we... we had a lot of great adventures." He started it happy and even put on a smile as he remembered some of the happy memories they had together. "But in the end, we came across someone we shouldn't have. The town told us to leave him alone and forget we ever saw him. But David ran off during the night to..." Kettle squeezed his eyes shut and re-focused what he was saying. "....and maybe he wouldn't have done it if I had only listened to him."