Spoonfred's Trial

Elder Kettle woke up early the next morning. The sun was just peaking over the horizon as the birds and insects began to sing their morning song. He remembered what Forkington had said yesterday. That he still wanted to have a talk about Mugman and his dangerous personality changes. If it were up to the utensil, the mug child would be banished from the island. But Elder Kettle was going to make sure that wasn't going to happen. Even if the boy did seem to scare him lately, it was still his grandson they were talking about. He did not wish for the little mug to be sent away.

After doing his routine stretches for his back, he made his way toward the boys' room. The elder quietly shuffled to their door and eased it open. He had left his cane in the living room to avoid that noise penetrating its way into his grandsons' heads. His tan body came to a resting position beside Cuphead's bed. A single gloved hand nudged the cup child's shoulder back and forth. The young cup's eyes fluttered open to see his guardian standing before him.

"Cuphead, I'm going to talk to Forkington, and I'd like you to come with me." The kettle whispered.

"Okay, I'll get Mugman up!" Cup replied a little louder than the adult and proceeded to jump out of bed, which creaked loudly. The old kettle flinched at all the noises the cup child made, especially when his boy's feet slammed into the ground. He realized that Mug stirred a little but ultimately stayed asleep. But Cuphead was being loud on purpose, hoping that his sibling would wake up and come with them.

"No!" Kettle said desperately. Cup stopped short and gave him a confused look. His cup cocked to one side as his straw swayed back and forth a little.

"I mean, no, we should let him sleep." His guardian said with more composure.

"But he should be there to defend himself!" The red cup pointed out.

"Please, Cuphead. I don't want things to get out of hand." Cuphead's grandpa pleaded with him. It was obvious that the reason the kettle didn't want the young mug around was that he was afraid of him. Not because he could do harm to others. This had even become evident to his grandson that was standing before him. And Cup was not a person to hide his thoughts unless specifically asked to do so.

"Why are you so afraid of him? You act like he's a monster!" Cuphead called out his grandpa. Kettle just looked at his boy desperately. He would have given anything not to have those words said out loud. But now it was out, and Cup would in no way take that back. He was the older brother. And HE was supposed to protect his little brother from any danger. Right now, that danger seemed to be due to the lack of their grandpa sharing his feelings with them. The two of them stared at one another, hoping the other with give in to their demands. Elder Kettle still stood there with his pleading look. The young cup gave a sigh of disappointment when he realized that he couldn't convince his guardian otherwise.

"Fine. But if we're leaving Mugman home, then you owe us some information when we get back." Cup was not willing to give in if Kettle refused to talk.

"Deal." The old kettle sighed in relief at the thought of getting his way for the time being. No doubt he would still try to find an excuse as to why he did not want to talk about the truth. He then left the room, giving Cuphead a minute to get dressed and prepare for another talk with the arrogant utensil.

Cup was pulling on one of his usual long-sleeve black shirts when he noticed some bruise marks along the bottom of his brother's mug. The child even seemed to be breathing in a way that said he was uncomfortable and possibly even in pain. Cuphead ran his curious gloved fingers along the blue-black area, causing the little mug to wince in his sleep.

He really was attacked, Cuphead realized. This is getting really serious. Don't worry, Mugman. We're going to get answers today, I promise.