A Suffocating Predicament

Fear rested in the back of Mugman's mind as he settled in for bed. It was still unclear to him whether he was dreaming or not the previous night when he saw the dark cloud that gave off the same vibes as the Devil. He could only hope it had not been real. It sure felt real, but so did his nightmares. The cup brothers drifted off to sleep in their silent and dark room.

Mug was sound asleep when a shuffling noise enter the room. A black mist poured itself in from a crack in the window and slid itself under the child's bed. He faintly heard it from within his sleep but tried to push it out of mind. Two long, cloud-like arms snaked their way out from under the mug's bed. They arced over the bed and hovered there for a moment. It was as if they were sizing up their target. Four faintly visible claws were attached to each hazy black hand. They floated towards the mug child as if they were being blown by a slight breeze.

The four-clawed hands wrapped themselves around the base of the child's mug. Their grip tightened as a low hiss of delight grumbled beneath the bed's structure. Mugman immediately woke up when he could not take a breath. His gloved hands tried desperately to feel what had a hold of him. For he could not see or feel anything around his head. No matter how hard he tried to pry the hold off himself, his hands just passed through the arms like they were no more than clouds. The invisible grip seemed to tighten even more with every breath he tried to take. Mug knew he was in a life-threatening position. Something was attacking him and he couldn't see it. Devil or not, whatever this thing was posed a serious threat to his existence. It had proven to be relentless and merciless, trying to squeeze the life out of him every chance it got. His only hope was to cry out for help. Mugman opened his mouth to shout when a finger singled out his windpipe and pressed down, gagging him and rendering his voice useless. The young mug's eyes screwed shut in panic as his legs furiously kicked his blankets, trying to get traction. His only option now was to call out for the demon and hope it would wake up from its slumber.

Help! Help!

No sounds came from within him. Mug knew he had to try again.

Wake up! Please! Something's got me!

But the demon still didn't respond. It was still sound asleep. Mugman continued to grope blindly for the grip around his neck. The mug child focused hard and forced some of the demon's enhanced magic to his hands. His dark blue magic seemed to make contact with the see-through arms. It passed up the skinny limbs like electricity. The mysterious creature groaned in pain and let go of the child. It retracted them so fast that its left hand bumped their nightstand, causing their round alarm clock to go off. It then climbed itself back out the window like a reverse waterfall before any peering eyes could get a look at it. The little mug sat up coughing and rubbing his neck. Cuphead was jolted awake at this point too.

"What? What the hell? How did that thing come on?" Cup yelled out in surprise. He then dove to cease the clock's screams. The red cup was able to make out that his sibling was sitting up wide awake. A gloved hand still caressed the underside of his mug as he tried to recover from the powerful grip from which he escaped. Mug knew it had been a miracle that he was freed from it. It was lucky that he had been able to summon that magic without the demon's aid.

"Did you set that off, Mugs?" Cuphead wondered.

"N-no!" Mugman coughed out. "I was being attacked!"

"Attacked? By what?" The young cup questioned, now even more in a state of alarm.

"S-something....under my bed!"

Without a word, Cup bravely shot down from his bed and grasped their flashlight they kept on the nightstand.

"Be careful, Cuphead!" Mug warned as his brother flicked on the flashlight already. He swiped it along the rim of the bedframe, looking for anything suspicious. All he saw was a few toys that had been shoved under there. The flashlight swept over a tin monkey figure. Its tiny black eyes and wide grin were enough to send chills down anyone's spine when they saw it in the black of night. Other than the creepy monkey that made Cuphead flinch, there was absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

"There's nothing under there now, Mugs." The red cup concluded as he stood up and clicked off the flashlight. Poor Mugman panted heavily as he fingered at his blankets and frantically looked around for any explanation as to what just happened.

Was it the Devil again? He wondered. How can I catch this thing if I can't see it?

Cuphead could sense that his little brother was very uncomfortable and scared. He needed to do something to help. But what he didn't know.

"Are you hurt, Mugs?" Cup asked him.

"I'm....not sure. What do I do, Cuphead?" The young mug knew his sibling didn't have the answer, but he was desperate to hear something – anything – that would console him, at least for the moment.

"I don't know, Mugs. I'm sorry..."

We're going to get that kettle to talk, that's what we're going to do! The demon finally chimed in. This has gone far enough!

Why didn't you help me when I called for you? Mug asked the parasitic creature, thinking it was his job to help keep the body safe from external forces.

I'm a sound sleeper. You should know that by now, Mugman. It said nonchalantly. Tell you what, if I'm asleep and you really need me, just thump on your chest with your fist. That should help me wake up. For now, you should go back to sleep and I'll stay up for a while. If Isense something in the room, I'll wake you up.

That sounds good. Thanks! The little mug felt a bit better now that he had a way to summon the demon even if he was asleep. Mug was going to settle back under the sheets when his older brother called to him again.

"I'm really worried about you. None of this makes sense."

"I know. I'm trying to figure this out as fast as I can. But it seems as though as soon as I get a step closer, it's always at least five steps ahead of me... It makes me wonder if this has anything to do with these weird goings on during the day."

"Someone knows something and they better start spilling before the entire island is in danger!" Cuphead spat.

That someone is Elder Kettle! And I think the island is already in danger.

Agreed! Bellowed the demon. We must do something! And fast!

"I'll have a talk with Elder Kettle in the morning and see if he'll finally feel up to talking." Cup offered.

"Thanks, Cuphead." Mug replied. But I don't think he'll actually want to....

The cup brothers snuggled back into their beds, hoping that tomorrow would shed some light on the situation. Not just for Mugman's sake anymore, but their whole family and friends too.