The Deed Must Be Done!

Hexter flew on silent wings into the dark and arid environment of Inkwell Hell. The demonic bat vertically aligned his body as he stared at the casino and the entrance to the Devil's lair on its right. His talons crashed to the ground, ripping right through the red carpet that led to the casino. The sound carried far into the depths of Hell. It notified even the deepest sleepers of his presence. He stared at the casino with a look of disgust on his face. His ears twitched in irritation.

"Please..." Hexter grumbled at the flashy and tacky statue of the Devil's head that rested above the building's large title. He and the Devil certainly did not have the same tastes, that's for sure. While both creatures did indeed have big egos, their style of flaunting it differed greatly.

The demonic bat crawled himself along the ground using his feet and winged hands as he turned away from the customer-attracting building. For his purpose in life was much too important to step into such a gaudy structure. He made straight for the entrance to the Devil's lair. Hexter did not stop to look around. The bat was already late getting to his destination. If he had not diverted to try to pick up a snack, he would have arrived just on time. The mutated black bat stopped before the red and gold throne. A black gaseous shadow hovered above the seat. The Devil's humid cavern did not bother the bat in the least. For he was from the depths of Hell as well.

"You wished to see me, oh great one?" Hexter said as he bowed his head, trying to show respect.

"Yes! It's about time you got here! What took you so long?" The unforgiving voice of the Devil boomed. Two piercing yellow eyes appeared within the black cloud and looked down upon its minion. "And don't lie to me!"

The demon bat flinched at the harsh tone in his voice. His dome-like head raised slightly to look at the menacing eyes.

"I....went to have a snack." Hexter explained with his voice trembling. For he was scared to find out how the dark creature would react to his lame excuse for being late. "All was going well until a child stopped me!" He hissed.

"And I suppose that child was a mug and he gave you that scratch." The dark cloud said, being much calmer than expected.

"Is it really that bad?" Hexter asked, rubbing his head with a hand. It was still wet and felt like a few layers of skin had been peeled off. That scratch was a wound that the demon bat would not soon forget about. His marvelous dome being damaged was a great insult to him. "I'll-I'll kill that kid!" He roared, forgetting that he was in the presence of someone who thought himself greater. "I'll drink his blood and then shatter him into a million pieces!"

"Silence!" The eyes hissed. A high-pitched sonic noise rang throughout the cave that emanated from the black shadow. Hexter roared in agony and yanked on his ears. Trying to flatten them against his head, he wished they could come off so he didn't have to hear the Devil's punishment. The demonic bat pressed his head against the floor, still grappling to close his large and sensitive ears. It began to die down as the dark cloud approached its minion. Hexter could sense the Devil was standing in front of him before he even looked up.

"So you see my problem." The voice gurgled as the sonic scream simmered down even more. "The mug thwarts any of my attempts to take the kettle's life. I originally thought I could use the mug to do it for me. But his will is much stronger than anticipated." His voice began to trail off, almost seeming in awe of the child's strength of will. "That's why I need you to take out the kettle."

Hexter let go of his ears and went to stand up. The gaseous cloud could see that the bat was going to snap at him. A quick glare reminded his minion whom he was dealing with. Hexter's head sunk back down to the floor and merely shifted his eyes upward. He then attempted to reword his protest in a manner that did not seem insulting.

"If all your previous attempts have failed, then why do you think I could do it?"

"The child cannot fly." It stated. "Take the kettle up high where the mug can't reach you."

"That didn't stop him before..." The bat replied, removing his gaze away from the yellow eyes. "He still found a way up there."

The Devil was getting tired of his minion's whining and excuses. He would put an end to the explanations that planted doubt into the demon bat's mind.

"Do what you must!" The cloud roared. Its eyes narrowed as they seemed to float down towards Hexter's head. "I want that kettle dead! Kill both of them if you have to! And don't come back empty handed! I want to be able to hold their heads in my claws!" Hexter looked the black shadow up and down, wondering just how he was going to do that. He didn't even seem to have a body at this point, let alone any hands to grab things with. The Devil could see that he was silently questioning this and put an end to it.

"Never mind the details! Just do it!"

"Yes, sir!" The demon bat squeaked and crawled himself out of the cavern, basically sliding across the ground. He wasted no time in escaping the monster that had invaded his personal space. Once its minion was out of sight, the dark cloud turned and made for its throne. It hovered above the seat yet again and began to grumble to itself.

"This is becoming tiresome, Mugman. I am almost fully healed from our previous battle. If I have to kill you with own claws, believe me, it will be painful!"