Stealing the Spotlight

Cuphead let his brother sleep in the next morning. He accidentally let him sleep in so long that they ran the risk of being late for meeting up with the youth group. Mugman sleepily stretched out his glass arms as clothes were thrown his way. He flinched as a long-sleeved black shirt plastered to his face.

"What's the rush, Cuphead?" The young mug yawned as he removed the piece of cloth from his face. "What time is it?"

"Too late!" Was the young cup's panicked reply. "Hurry up, Mugman! Or we'll be late!" His sibling struggled into his clothes as fast as he could. Although he did not look forward to being among a large group of his peers yet again. For he did not feel welcome among their company. But he hurried for Cuphead's sake. The young cup greatly enjoyed socializing with his classmates.

"Here's an apple!" Cup yelled as he tossed a red delicious apple his brother's way. A gloved hand caught the fruit as the mug stared at it.

"Come on!" Cuphead shouted as he grabbed Mug by the arm. "You can eat it on the way!" He began to drag him along as they quickly exited their house. Elder Kettle barely got in a wave good-bye as his boys rushed out of the house. They ran to the far end of the island, which was a bit too close to the place where they had almost lost their souls for Mugman's liking. Just beyond Sally's theater was a railroad track. Crossing over that meant entering the cave that led to Inkwell Hell. Mug quickly gulped down the apple as his brother yanked him along.

The youth group stood just outside Sally's theater. Ms. Angel was doing her morning head-count when she noticed the cup brothers bounding over the horizon.

"Form a single file line, children." She announced as Cuphead and Mugman neared the building. The young cup heard her say this and gave the mug's arm an extra jerk. This caused him to drop what was left of his apple.

Oh well. I suppose I was done with it anyway...

Mug looked back at the half-eaten fruit. He did not particularly like leaving trash about the island, but he knew his brother wouldn't stop at a time like this. Cup and Mug came to a halt at the back of the line. Their bodies heaved in and out as they tried to catch their breath.

"We...we made it!" Cuphead announced through his deep breaths. Mugman watched as the students started to file into the theater. Sally and her husband greeted each kid at the door. The building was an aged-blue color. A small ticket office was placed in front of the two sets of double doors that led into the theater. The ticket window was not needed today as the Stageplay couple were hosting a talent show to raise some extra money for the theater. Not that they were poor by any means, but some extra cash would never hurt. And it gave Inkwell's residents a chance to show off their talents. The word "Theatre" was in golden letters above the currently unoccupied ticket office.

Angel led the group of students in and showed them to their assigned seats within the theater. The young cups straggled at the end of the line. But they didn't care. For they knew the owners personally. Cuphead approached the well-dressed couple. Sally wore her usual turquoise dress with her blonde hair tied up in three different tufts. Mr. Stageplay was gussied up in his suit: a white dress-shirt with a small black jacket over his shoulders and arms, black pants, and gray dress shoes. His tall black top hat bounced back and forth as his head moved from his clipboard to each of the students. Brown hair peaked out from beneath his hat. A toothy grin pushed his brown mustache upward.