Friend or Foe?

The next morning arrived all too soon and Kettle was off on another business trip to the mainland. He had said goodbye to Cuphead, but not Mugman since he was not up yet. The elderly kettle had let his boy sleep in these past few days due to the stress of his nightmares. Cup waited patiently for his sibling to get up so they could play together. Elder Kettle had thought about enlisting one of their neighbors to ensure that the boys did not wander off again. In the end, he decided not to. That perhaps they deserved another chance to prove their loyalty and trust to their grandpa. Even just one day of obedience was a success in Kettle's book.

Once Mugman got up, he suggested that they go outside to play. The little mug was tired of being confined to his home, but at least he could still enjoy being outside without disobeying their guardian.

After a few friendly competitions of yo-yo tricks, Mug told Cuphead to count to twenty while he went to hide. The cup brothers enjoyed a good hour of one of their classic favorites. Cup eventually got bored and wanted a different game. His attention span certainly didn't last as long as his little brother's.

"Tag! You're it!" The little mug shouted as he poked his sibling's chest. His brown boots then thumped loudly against the grassy ground as he sprinted away.

"Oh, so that's how you're going to play, huh?" Cuphead teased as he gave chase. "Come here, you little nut! I'm going to give you a noogie when I get you!"

"You have to catch me first!" Mugman stuck his tongue out, slowing down for a second. He allowed his big brother to catch up a bit before dashing off again. The little mug knew fully well that he could run faster than Cup when he was trying. Mug heard the footsteps behind him slow and eventually stop.

"What's wrong, Cuphead? Running out of steam already?" The young mug looked over his shoulder to find empty woods. His run came to a halt as he started to breathe heavily from his sprinting. "Huh? Cuphead? Where'd you go?"

"Gotcha!" Yelled the red cup as he launched himself out of a bush, tackling his little brother to the ground. They tumbled along the ground a few feet roaring with laughter. Cuphead made sure he was on the top of the pile of glass when they stopped. He didn't like to let his little brother pin him if he could help it. The young cup would allow such actions if there were others around so that he seemed like a good sport. But nowadays, Mugman felt confident that he could pin Cuphead if he wanted to. His daily training sessions kept his mind and body active, giving him exercise so that he stayed resilient and flexible.

Just then, the cup brothers heard other voices laughing. They immediately ceased their activity to find out who else was around. Cup quickly spotted the source of the voices. Mug's gaze followed his sibling's as they traveled to a group of kids that he hoped he wouldn't see around his house again. The spoon and his gang stood at the border of their home territory looking in at them.

"I'll be right back, Mugs." Cuphead said as he got off the little mug. "I'm just going to say hi." He then sprinted off toward the other children. Cup seemed to run faster in their direction than he did when he was chasing his little brother, or so Mug thought.

"Cuphead, wait!" The mug child called as he stood up and raced after his brother. He didn't really want him to be tempted by these children to do something he they would both regret. Cup raced between two closely situated trees and then leapt over a bush that was knee-height. Mugman did not leap like his sibling did. This resulted in him stepping in a trap that had been laid out for him. In an instant, a net wrapped around his body and sat suspended between the two trees. The little mug yelped in surprise as his right arm dangled out of one of the openings. Rope closed in on his glass body, making him feel a bit claustrophobic. It threatened to crumple him up into his self.