The Diagnosis

Mugman woke up the next morning with his mind feeling tired. Dealing with the awful dreams drained his mental focus. It dragged him down. He almost wanted to let his cup droop. Mug tried to shake that feeling aside as he thought about his meeting with Djimmi today. Hopefully all would go well, and he would finally be free of the presence that tormented him every night. Mugman dragged himself out to the dining room after Cuphead. His older brother sat himself down at the table like usual. Cup awaited his grandfather to sit down before he started eating. Both of them had gotten in trouble in the past for eating before everyone was ready. Mugman planned to try to make this breakfast quick so that he could get this whole ordeal over with. The young mug put a purpose in his walk as he grabbed a piece of toast off the table and kept walking toward the front door. He took a bite of the toast and looked back at his family.

"Okay, I'm done! Let's go!" Mug tried to hurry his family.

"Hold up there, son." Kettle replied as he sat down next to Cuphead. "You need your breakfast. Sit down and eat. You will need it to keep your strength up." Mugman held back a grumble of frustration as he whipped a chair out from underneath the table. His glass body sat down. The young mug forced himself to eat a little but then sat there just staring at his food. His left hand rested on his head as his other hand pushed the food around with his fork. He impatiently waited for his brother and guardian to be done with their meals. They could not get done fast enough for Mug's liking.

A half hour later, they stepped out of their house. The family of three trudged their way to the middle section of the island. Djimmi's white concrete pyramid greeted them as they continued forward. Cuphead and Kettle entered the pyramid without a second thought. Mugman, however, stood hesitantly outside the structure. He remembered how much damage he did to Dr. Kahl's lab. Pretty much all of his machines had gone up in flames, and the scientist had nearly met the same fate. The little mug was nervous that he would do the same to Djimmi's hovel.

"Wait! Are you sure you want me to come in there?" He called into the building.

"Of course! Make yourself at home." Djimmi's voice boomed back.

"O-okay. If you say so...." His brown boots slowly passed through the square opening. The inside of the structure was dimly lit by lamps and candles along shelves. Bottled spells and other types of magic also rested on these shelves. Once a person's eyes got used to the lighting, one would find it to be a colorful environment filled with shades of pink and purple. Magenta curtains draped along the structure, creating doorways to different sections of the pyramid. It seemed much bigger to the cup brothers than it looked from the outside. Mug followed his guardian as a thin curtain was pulled aside to reveal a room with the genie sitting at its center. The orange being sat with his legs crossed close to his body. His magic lamp shoes rested on his knees. The usual brown pipe extended out from the side of his mouth. Mug noticed a crystal ball resting on a table just to Djimmi's right.

"Welcome friends! Come and take a seat!" Djimmi welcomed the three boys. Cup and Mug promptly took a seat on the floor like their host. Glass legs crossed in front of them. Unlike the genie, they didn't rest their shoes on their knees. Kettle, however, found a large dark blue bean bag chair. Both of the boys gave a little chuckle when their guardian's body sank down into the chair. Elder Kettle wasn't sure if he would be able to get out of the chair when he was ready to.

A small meow noise caught Mugman's attention. He turned his mug to the left. A cat slunk its way out from behind a vase. Its golden fur seemed to glow in the pyramid's dim lighting.

"Oooh! You have a kitty!" Mug's eyes sparkled as he saw the beautiful feline. The small-boned cat walked over to Mugman and started rubbing against his legs. Her physique was absolutely perfect. There wasn't a knot or speck of dirt anywhere on her coat. Its bright green eyes stared up at the cup child. She gave a sharp meow, as if to say she wanted to be petted. Mugman happily gave the kitty what she wanted. It purred with content and continued to rub her body back and forth against the mug's legs.