Friend Not Foe

Back in the Devil's lair, Cuphead and Elder Kettle sobbed over the loss of the little mug. They held one another in a tight embrace. Mug and the Devil had been gone too long. There was no way they were coming back, or so the young cup and kettle thought. King Dice still sat on the ground, watching intensely where his boss had disappeared. His green eyes had not flickered from that spot. The three of them were silent except for occasional sobs and sniffs from Kettle or Cup.

Dice gave a start when he saw a wisp of white energy appear out of thin air. It swirled around and grew bigger.

"Look!" The king gasped and pointed with a gloved finger at the ray of hope. They watched as the portal grew larger and larger. Then two bodies came tumbling through the opening and collapsed upon the ground. The portal wasted no time in closing behind them. It was lucky that they both made it through before it started to shrink up. Mugman and the Devil looked utterly exhausted. David's fur hung heavily from his slender body, and Mug's clothes were plastered to his body. His beat red mug was screaming for a cold relief.

"Mugman!" Cuphead and Elder Kettle cried. The young cup rushed forward toward his sibling. He helped the mug child up and enveloped him in a hug. Mug, however, hardly seemed to notice. Like he was in some sort of trance. With the trident still in his left hand, he stared off into the distance as his free hand gently patted Cuphead's back without a thought.

"I thought you were gone for good this time!" The young cup sobbed and squeezed tighter. He was trying to get a reaction out of his little brother. But Mug still said nothing. Cup felt the mug's body tense and jerk like he was trying to hold back crying. Pulling back, the red cup realized that was exactly what was happening.

"Mugs, what's wrong?"

And then tears escaped the mug child's eyes. A sizzling noise reached their cups as the water touched Mug's cheeks and evaporated on the spot. Still not saying a word, the young mug stared out into the lair, not seeming to focus on anything in particular.

"Mugs...." Kettle came over and placed a hand on his shoulder. No response. With little other option, the elder turned to the Devil. "Thank you for saving him, David. I know it wasn't easy."

The gangly body was sprawled on the ground with no intention of getting up anytime soon. It huffed and puffed, trying to normalize its heart rate and manage the pain. He even swiped away the die man's hands when he offered help.

"D-don't thank me. The mug was the one that did all the saving." Yellow eyes wanted to droop closed and sleep for the rest of the year.

"What does he mean by that, Mugman?" Cup asked his brother.

"Aren't you going to tell them, kid?" David urged. Kettle and Cuphead watched as the mug child finally opened his mouth.

"I.....I saw mom and dad." He drawled out.

"What?" His family gasped. Mugman's gaze rolled over to his grandpa.

"And grandma too. We wouldn't have escaped if it wasn't for them."

Elder Kettle looked like he was about to cry too. His lovely Ceramica had come to the boy's aid even though she didn't know him. If only I could have been as true of heart as her, the elderly kettle thought.

"But....how could you have seen them?" Cup questioned, not quite understanding how their spirits could have been summoned.

"I'm not totally sure myself. I just know they appeared after I picked up this and..... started using a weird power." Mug explained with clear confusion in his voice and gestured to the trident.

It's like I said. The demon started. The trident reacted different because love fills your heart. Not hate.

"Love....I guess it was." Mugman repeated.