A Quick Detour

During the mug and carnation's conversation, Hilda had also been around in the area. She sat under a tree near her observatory with a book, brushing up on her knowledge of location-specific weather phenomena. In particular, she was reading the section about the aurora borealis and how it was the brightest when contrasted against an arctic tundra. Unknown to her, a large black creature rested in the tree above her.

"Well, what do we have here?" Came a male voice from above the witch. It had a thick Hungarian accent like a traditional vampire would have.

"Huh?" She wondered aloud and looked up. The black creature hung upside down from a branch using the talons on its two feet. A large, round head emerged from its folded-up wings and looked down upon Hilda. This creature seemed to resemble a bat somewhat. However, it did not have any fur. Just thick black skin all over its body. Two large bat ears twitched as it listened intently to its surroundings. The bat nostrils were also very large for smelling the blood of wounded prey from many miles away. Its lips drew back as it smiled, showing large white fangs. They gleamed from the strong sunlight pouring down over Inkwell. The head craned around like an owl's as it got a good look at her.

(Inspired by this unused boss for the game, my version looks like a hybrid between a bat and a dinosaur

(Inspired by this unused boss for the game, my version looks like a hybrid between a bat and a dinosaur. The face would be more bat-like with the nostrils attached to the face and large, semi-floppy ears. Essentially, the only features that would stay the same are the color scheme, head shape, and hands attached to the red wings.)

"Who are you?" She asked, a bit nervous of this new face on the island. Its large head and set of chompers alone were enough to intimidate anyone of equal or lesser size.

"Oh! Where are my manners?" The demonic bat then dropped to the ground, landing on its feet. It shook the very earth that the witch sat upon. Hilda immediately jumped up in alarm, instantly forgetting about her book that dropped to the ground and closed up. She wanted to be able to run away or lash out at it if need be. Her body backed away a bit as the creature landed a bit too close for her liking.

"My name is Hexter." It introduced itself. A four-fingered hand that was attached to his wing pointed to himself. The underside of the bat's wings was a bright red color, just like the inside of its ears. "Who are you, my dear?"

"Hilda." The witch answered as she continued to back away slowly, not taking her eyes off the creature or turning her back to it. Hexter noticed the female eyeing his fangs and talons. His legs were thick and muscular. Almost as if they came directly from a dinosaur instead of the stubby legs of a bat. Black claws tapped the grassy ground as the demonic bat thought about tearing into her flesh. He was also aware that the human could easily deduce this intention. And he wasn't about to let her slip away that easy.

"Say, would you like to go for a nice flight?" Hexter offered as his right hand grabbed the female's arm. Hilda saw the bat licking its teeth.

"N-no thanks! Please let go!" She said, almost on the verge of panicking. The witch tried in vain to slip her arm out of the creature's grip.