The Kettle and the Faun

Kettle and David had traveled far and wide. Their adventures had taken them to the far side of the world from their little hometown, which seemed like a speck in the dust compared to all the wonders they had witnessed. The adventuring duo had just crossed over what seemed like the hundredth mountain on their journey.

"No more mountains, David. I'm not as nimble as you." Kettle huffed as he followed his friend over the last bump in the road. "I need to take a break." The kettle's younger self was a much richer brown in color and he didn't even have a mustache yet either.

"No worries." Said David, jumping onto a six-foot boulder. "According to that eagle, we should be getting close to the next town." His brown-furred goat legs allowed him to jump and climb much easier than the brown kettle. With his trident in hand, he looked about at their surroundings. It was rusted a bit, but its golden sparkle was still visible under the light coating of bronze. His human-like upper half was covered in his specially crafted armor. The helmet pressed down his thick and curly brown hair but left clear holes for his horns to fit through.

Kettle leaned against a rock with his armored body filling up with sweat. His sword was safely sheathed in its holster on his hip.

Something caught David's attention as he saw something large spiral upward into the air. The wind from it nearly knocked him off the boulder.

"Whoa! What was that?" The faun gasped as he got spun around. Kettle looked up and saw what looked like a lizard with wings.

"Is that a dragon?" He wondered aloud. And then it came plummeting back down, and Kettle's suspicion was confirmed. Down came an armored dragon with fiery red scales. Every part of its body was long and skinny, each one of its scales were etched carefully into the skin and clearly visible. But the kettle noticed that something was on its back. David looked down into the valley and saw a handful of creatures brandishing weapons upward toward the winged reptile. The duo watched as the dragon swooped down and unleashed a stream of fire from its mouth. All of the organisms ducked for cover. Flames ate away at the grass, but did not find its way to any of the opposing creatures.

"Looks like they could use some help!" David said, leaping off the boulder. "Come on!" Kettle raced after the faun. He looked up at the dragon again as it swooped low to the ground again.

"Get off!" Kettle heard a deep voice rumble as it went by. It was then that the glassware realized that it wasn't something on the dragon – It was someone! The red beast rose upward but then took a nosedive, throwing itself into a somersault. This ultimately tossed the person off. The pitch of its screech told Kettle that it was a female. Acting out of instinct, he rushed towards the falling person, holding his gloved hands outward.

"Oof!" She said as her body collided into the kettle's.

"I've got you!" He said, reassuring her that she was safe. The female, who turned out to be a slender pink kettle, stared into her savior's eyes with gratitude. And Kettle stared right back. Their hearts seemed to skip a beat as they saw perfection in one another's eyes.

("It was love at first sight." Kettle commented.")

("More like betrayal at first sight!" The Devil argued.)

"It's coming back!" Someone shouted, breaking up their tender moment. Kettle immediately put the female down and got ready for the fire-breathing beast's return. The bipedal dragon landed on the ground, letting its pulsing yellow eyes sweep over each one of the creatures that opposed it. A crown of spikes grew around its head and reached down its long jawbone. It gave a roar, showing its many sharp fangs, and charged forward. Kettle noticed that its four-clawed hand was going for its own sword that was hitched to its armor on the right side.