An Unexpected Ally

Cuphead planned to distract his grandpa again so that his little brother could get in another strike. He began to charge up a powerful blast when a furry body pounced in front of him. David stared down the young cup. For he was giving more help than the demonic creature had actually expected. It snorted before leaning its head down and addressing the little cup.

"You're being a bit too useful." He sneered.

"Oh, yeah? Well, if you don't get out of the way, I'll blast you too!" Cuphead boldly said to the Devil. The young cup wasn't standing down. He was determined to see that he help Mugman instead of causing damage like he did last time. There was no way his little brother was going to die again while he was still living.

"Go ahead. I dare you!" Yellow eyes narrowed just as the pupils did. The cat-like slits of the pupils bore down onto the child. But Cup wasn't about to show fear at a time like this. "If you attack me, I'll put you into the realm of demons!" It threatened.

Still not willing to give in, Cuphead brazenly let his orange pulse of energy hit the black creature at close range.

"Ugh!" David grunted as the smoke engulfed his head. His round melon jerked to the side, feeling a slight pop in the back of his neck. It reminded him that he was still not back to full power. And he may never truly be. For he had abused his body so much over time, assuming that immortality would keep him safe. He had not known that his body was really only good for as long as his faun body was supposed to be. The dark spirit can lengthen the victim's life if – and only if – they refrain from doing stunts that would otherwise kill a mortal body. In reality, the faun was as old as the kettle. His body started to feel all those years add up. He was not the young and sly puffball he used to be. David started to realize this, which was why he was entrusting his fellow demons to aid him.

His fangs gritted together in a snarl as the smoke started to dissipate. Yellow eyes glared through the smoke before the creature ultimately lunged. A gray paw seized the cup child's torso. It began to drag him away from the continuing brawl and closer to the swirling mass of tentacled creatures. Cuphead could feel the pool of evil drawing closer. The swirling portal gave off a truly uneasy vibe that was sure to put a chill down anyone's spine, even if they were evil themselves. Even the Devil stood back a couple of paces and began to lower the child toward the vortex of darkness. Cup felt his back rub against the stone rim of the portal and start to slide over. It was mere seconds before the dark creature would let him plummet to his untimely death. The fear Cuphead felt was overwhelming. His little glass body panicked. For he tried anything and everything to get out of the furry creature's grip.

Hope started to slip away as he felt a warm, viscous substance touch the back of his cup. The child gasped when he felt three tentacles seize his arm. For any kind of contact from a mortal being was like a homing beacon for the demons that dwelled within. The strong appendages gave a slight tug to see how hard its master was holding on. It was still firm. David was certainly making it clear that he wanted the cup child's death to be a slow and painful one. The suspense only made the demonic creature enjoy this sacrifice all the more.

Poor Cuphead was scared. He had the Devil holding onto his torso and a demon attached to his arm. The child could only hope that they wouldn't yank at the same time and rip him apart. But then something happened that neither one of them would have expected...

"Hey, kid! Don't be scared. It's me." A voice rang through Cuphead's mind. For it was the same demon that had inhabited his body during his fight with Mugman. "I wanna help!" It said.

Help? Yeah, right! Why should I believe you? The young cup silently retorted.

"I know you have no reason to believe me." Said the demon in its most unfriendly voice. Most of their species sounded very aggressive and belligerent anytime they talked. It was only Mug's demon who had spent so much time with the mortals that began to change his tone.