You Are Alone, Little Mug

The sky was burning a bright orange when Mugman finally realized how long he had been sitting alone in the training hollow. That orange glow meant that the sun would be setting soon. Mug finally broke the long and awkward silence between him and the demon.

"I don't know if you can hear me right now, but I want to tell you I'm sorry." He apologized. "It wasn't right for me to blow up at you. You're not the one to blame. I am. My whole life has been a series of lies. But I don't want that to be the case between me, you, and Cuphead. We... we need to be there for one another. And you're probably going think me crazy for still wanting to protect Elder Kettle even though he's done wrong. It's called forgiveness. That's what I'm asking of you right now. I'm not asking you to be my friend again, I'm just asking you to understand. I just hope you're listening to me."

"Oh, I heard everything." Came a sinister and familiar voice from behind the mug child. With a start, Mugman immediately jumped up and turned around. Before him stood the purple suit wearing die man that he had not seen for months. Its cocky smile stuck on his face, embellished by the green eyes almost seemed to glow.

"K-King Dice?" Mug gasped as his body tensed in fear of this person.

"Long time no see, little mugface." Dice sneered a greeting. "Finding you was much easier than I thought it would be... especially seeing as you were not exactly being quiet." His purple shoes plodded forward and advanced toward the young mug. "After all of the Devil's previous attempts to kill you and your family failed, he thought he would have to get his own claws dirty. But I made a bet with him that I could complete the task in one night." The king tugged at the end of his sleeves, making sure his hands were not obstructed by anything.

Mug was terrified of this man, but he knew that being scared would only cause him to freeze up. This was such a crucial moment that he couldn't afford such things happening.

"Just walk out of here slowly and no one gets hurt!" The little mug bravely shouted, showing confidence in his body language.

"Is that so? You talk so tough, but you are nothing without your brother by your side." King Dice tried to weaken the boy's soul. "You are alone."

Alone.That word echoed throughout Mugman's mind. But he wasn't alone. He had his demon with him. Mug immediately began thumping his chest with his fist.

"Come on! Wake up! I really need you right now!" He whispered to his guest. Meanwhile, the die man picked up the pace and started to make his right hand glow with purple magic. The young mug panicked and only thumped his chest faster as he began to back away. There was still no response from the dark creature. It sure was picking a bad time to take a nap. Or perhaps it was leaving him to his own devices after feeling that he was ungrateful. Mug just hoped it was the former. That the demon wouldn't really leave him stranded like that. No matter what the reason, the child was starting to feel that he was alone. Dice was getting closer, and he was running out of options.

"D-don't come any closer! I'm warning you!" Mugman had to stop beating up his chest and focus on protecting himself. A glowing orange finger pointed in the casino manager's direction.

"You're warning me?" The king chuckled. "That's rich!"

Without another word, Mug loosed his charge shot at Dice. It exploded on the man's suit and threw the cube-faced person into the cave wall. The little mug heard him grunt in pain and boldly leapt forward. It was now or never, he realized. Mug needed to defeat this man and quick. For he knew how dangerous the die man was and that it had inherited some of its master's craving for torturing other beings. Mugman came soaring through the smoke clouds letting out a battle cry. As quick as lightning, a purple sleeved arm shot out and caught the mug child by its throat. It held the young mug aloft as it squeezed tight. A small gloved hand grabbed onto the much larger and meatier hand. Mug's left hand brazenly held out a finger at the living dice's head.