Confidence vs. Fear

Gray walls materialized around the young mug. For he found himself within the dark and cold catacombs once again. Thick black sludge accumulated on the ceiling above him. It oozed downward and splat on the floor in front of him. Mugman watched the sludge as it rose up and formed his shadowy alter ego once more. Its wicked smile shook the cup child to the core. A large and exaggerated breath squeezed out between its sharp teeth. Sludge dripped off the black body like large raindrops.

"You're - you're the demon." Mug stated, trying not to seem scared.

"You catch on quick, kid." It gargled a response. The shadow crossed its arms in front of its chest, seeming unimpressed.

"Tomorrow you will be out and I won't have to deal with you anymore!" Mugman yelled at the sludgy shadow as he balled his fists.

"Such confidence....but alas it is a false hope!" It hissed with a simple shake of its mug. "Do you really think it will be that easy to get rid of me?"

"I must believe!" The young mug said as loud as he could, hoping to give himself true confidence. "And nothing you say can deter me! I'm not afraid of you!"

"Is that so?" The demonic voice questioned as its eyes narrowed. It then raised a clawed but shadowy hand above the child's head as if it were going to strike. Mugman's once confident posture instantly changed. The child gasped and immediately turned his mug away, closing his eyes and preparing for the worst.

"Just as I thought." The shadow sneered, lowering its arm back to its sludgy side. "You're nothing but a coward! And that's all you'll ever be!" It taunted the cup child. Another shadowy hand raised. This time, the clawed hand pushed the young mug's chest. Mug's glass body went tumbling to the ground.

"Ugh!" The cup child squealed as his fragile body got thrown down. Mugman immediately forgot about his confident attitude and started to tremble terribly. The shadow's smile grew wider. It deeply enjoyed watching the child succumb to its fear. Mug's shaking body stood up and tried to run away from his shadow alter ego.

"Where do you think you're going?" It hissed at the young mug. The black sludge then forced itself to expand into a single arched stream and stretch over the child. It then materialized in front of its prey. Mugman desperately tried to slow down. Shadowy hands reached out for the cup child. They grabbed onto Mug's shirt and lifted him off the ground.

"We're just getting started!" It gargled as it held the cup child just in front of its face. Mugman could only watch in horror as it opened its jaws widely. A long, snake-like tongue dangled over its lower jaw. Inside the mouth was even more shadowy figures swimming around in the dark abyss. Mugman let out an ear-piercing scream as he was lowered toward the black pool of death.

Cuphead bolted awake once again as his brother wailed in fear.He immediately hopped over to the next bed. His eyes widened in surprise when he realized Mug was still asleep.

"N-no! Stop! Stay away from me!" Yelled a sleeping mug, tossing his head back and forth. His hands swatted out as if he were trying to physically keep something away. Cuphead reached down for his shoulders and gently shook him. 

"Mugs! Mugs, wake up!" The young cup called to his sleeping brother. Mugman's eyes popped open in a second when he heard Cup's voice. He breathed quickly as he recovered from the adrenaline coursing through his body. The young mug then noticed his older brother hovering over him. He slowly sat up as his sibling gave him some space.

"Oh, Cuphead! It was another nightmare!" Mug bawled.

"You were screaming....and talking in your sleep." Cuphead told him. "Did this nightmare have anything in common with the previous one?"

"Th-the demon! It torments me!" Mugman confessed as trembling hands rose to his mug. They clasped his head in fear. Eyes stayed open wide, scarcely blinking.

"The demon appears in your dreams? What is it doing to you?" The young cup probed.

"It-it talks down at me. Makes me scared. And then threatens to hurt me. It-it tried to swallow me!" Mug cried in fear.

"Gosh, I'm sorry Mugs. I can't imagine how that must feel..." Cuphead wished he could do more to help his brother. An idea for more advice came to his cup. "If it comes back, tell it to leave you alone! Hell, even threaten to harm it if it does so to you! Show 'em who's boss, Mugs!" The young mug started to calm down as he heard Cuphead's advice. Hands were removed from his mug as he gently grabbed the sheets.

"You're right.... I can't let it control my emotions!" Mugman started to compose himself. "Once again you've given me valuable advice, Cuphead. I don't know what I'd do without you!"

"Think nothing of it, bro!" The young cup replied.