Chapter 18- Righting The Wrongs

Third Person

9 Years Ago...

Lance was on the search for his youngest child. It was time for her to have go to bed but he couldn't seem to find her. Panic slowly started to rise in his chest after every room he had been in, there was no sign of her.

The last place to check was his own room. He didn't seem to see the little lump that would indicate she was hiding under the covers on the bed which she use to do. There was no sight of Kayla anywhere. Until he heard the light snores coming from his closet.

He opened it to see Kayla curled up asleep on the floor. A wave of relief instantly hit him. But why was she asleep in his closet?

To answer his question on further inspection. Kayla had something curled up in her hand. It was one of Stella's many t-shirts that still smelled like her. Something he couldn't have the heart of washing because her scent was still on the clothing.

It had been two years since her death but Kayla still missed her Mom and this was one way she could be close to her Mother. Parshly Lance thinks it was his fault for Kayla to end up in here because earlier his girlfriend Louise had came over to meet the kids and they all had dinner together.

Lance carefully lifted Kayla out of the closet. Pulling her close to his chest, Kayla had tear stained cheeks and a firm grip on the t-shirt which was held up to her nose.

Lance's heart broke looking at his daughter. She was too young to loose her Mother, all of his kids were. But life gave him a second chance at love and that was Louise. Hopefully she'd fill the role in for his kids and hopefully she would stick around.

Lance lightly rubbed Kayla's chubby cheek to get her to wake up. She started to stir in his arms. Slowly opening her big green doe eyes. Lance sent her a smile.

"I need to get you dressed then you can go to bed." He rubbed his finger again on her cheek soothingly. Kayla nodded her head softly.

This would be one of the many times Kayla would be found asleep in his closet. Soon the spot changed to the attic just to smell the comfort of her Mothers scent.

Kayla's POV

Present Time...

Dad's black car was stopped right outside the school entrance. He had looked to be only coming back from work as I approached the car.

I opened the passenger door as I got in. Dad sent me a smile as I got in, putting my bag at my feet.

"Why did you pick me up?" I turned to put on my seatbelt.

"It was just on the way back." He shrugged as he started to drive off.

The car ride was awkward the only thing breaking the silence was the music coming from the radio. I looked at Dad when he took a wrong turn from our road.

"Where are you going?"

Dad sent me a glance. "Are you hungry?" My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. We never spent time together.

"Umm sure." I relaxed slightly in the chair. My finger played with a loose thread on the chair as Dad drove.

He pulled up to a 'Crispy creme' drive thru.