• one •

Phoenix Haynes

Phoenix Haynes

"Class, this is Phoenix Haynes. She just transferred from a school in California, so be nice." Mr Hopkinson said, pointing to the chair next to a girl sitting alone.

"Would you like to take the spare seat there for me?" He asked, and I nodded, putting my books on the table and sitting next to the stranger.

"Hi, I'm Peter!" A boy said, turning around from his seat in front of me, and I smiled at him.

"It's really nice to meet you, Peter! I'm Phoenix." I said politely, and the boy next to him smiled at me.

"I'm Ned, this is MJ." He said, gesturing to the girl I'd been assigned to sit next to, and I gave them a friendly smile back.

"I'm guessing you guys are super close, huh?" I asked, and they nodded happily, except for MJ, who just agreed with them.

Not the super cheery kind, noted.

"Alright, I need to you get into groups of four for our next science assignment!" Mr Hopkinson said loudly, trying to get everyone's attention, and I noticed Ned looking at me.

"Wanna be our fourth?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Sounds great! Thanks, Ned." I smiled, and Peter gave me a nervous smile, while MJ nodded in satisfaction with the ordeal.

"Listen up, here's what you need to do for the assignment-" The teacher started, but Ned interrupted him, turning to face me.

"So why did you transfer for New York?" He asked, and I shrugged.

"My parents got a job here." I lied, and the three nodded, happy with my answer.

I obviously couldn't tell them the truth, though.

The truth was, I lived by myself in a small apartment, but I didn't pay for it.

Tony Stark did.

He didn't know who I was, but he knew the girl that fought with the Avengers.

He knew Shadow, not Phoenix.

He paid for Shadow's apartment, not Phoenix.

Whenever the Avengers had a meeting, I kept my suit on.

My identity was a secret to everyone, not a single person knew about me.

"Where do you guys want to do this?" MJ asked, and I froze.

"My parents are super strict, so probably not mine, sorry." I lied, and they nodded in understanding.

"That's okay!" Peter smiled, looking at us.

"We could do it at mine?"

"Are you sure?" Ned asked, and Peter nodded, turning to me.

"My Aunt is out of the country for work, so I live with Tony Stark." He said, making my breath hitch in my throat.