• thirty five •

Phoenix Haynes

I squeezed Peter's hand while we walked through the Newark Liberty International Airport.

"Are you sure no one else has figured it out?" Peter asked, and MJ shrugged.

"Yeah, I mean it's not like anybody really pays attention to you."

I let out a loud laugh, making MJ smile while Peter scoffed.

"Ouch."

"Except for me, obviously." I said, and Peter beamed happily at me.

"I know."

MJ said farewell before heading over to her family, and waved at Ned and Betty.

"You guys are so cute." Betty said, making me smile.

"Thankyou."

"I was thinking we should all, I don't know, like go on a double date or something." Peter suggested, and I nodded.

'That's a great idea!"

"Oh, we broke up." Med and Betty said simultaneously, and Peter frowned.

"No, what?"

"Why?" I asked, and they shared a look.

"Men and women grow apart, but the journey they share together will always be a part of them."

Damn, that's mature of him.

Betty placed her hand on Ned's cheek, smiling at him.

"You are so wise."

"Thank you." Ned responded, and Betty waved goodbye to us before walking off, and Ned shrugged.

"Alright, I gotta go too." He said, leaving Peter and I alone, walking out of the airport.

"Are you sure May is okay with me staying with you?" I asked, and Peter nodded.

"Of course, she's back in town and Mr Stark is still in the hospital." He said, making me smile.

"Okay, I'm excited!"

"May!" Peter exclaimed, and I looked at her, finding her talking to a security guard.

"Oh they're here, don't give me a ticket!" She said, running over to us and enveloping Peter in a tight hug.

That's so touching.

"So glad you're okay." She whispered, and Peter pulled away, smiling brightly.

"No for real, I'm good. I'm actually really fine." He said, and May looked at me, pulling me in for a hug.

"Thank goodness you're okay too!"

I didn't know how to respond, and she rubbed my back before letting me go, smiling at both of us.

"Let's go, where are your bags?" May asked, before snapping her fingers in realisation.

"Oh right, they got blown up."

"Yeah." I laughed, and while we started walking go her car, she handed us a brown paper bag each.

"I got you some hot buttered bagels."

"Oh wow, thankyou." I whispered, feeling extremely touched, and Peter smiled at me before looking at May.

"Thank you so much."

"I know my boy, and if I know my boy, which I do, he's chosen a girl that likes hot buttered bagels."

•••