• thirty •

Phoenix Haynes

Beck, the Shield team, Peter and I sat amongst the rubble, processing what had happened.

"So, it's over?" Hill asked, and I looked at Beck, who nodded.

"Yeah, that was the last of them."

"Thank god." I whispered, falling back into the broke floor, lying on my back.

I've had enough of elementals.

"But it's not the last threat we'll ever face, we need to stay vigilant." Fury said, bringing the attention to him.

"There's a void in this world for someone like you, Beck. Hill and I are going to Europol headquarters in Berlin tomorrow, and you should join us." He said, and Beck shook Fury's hand happily.

"Thank you, I just might take you up on that."

Fury turned to where Peter and I were, looking hesitant while Peter pulled me to my feet.

"You're talented Harper, I want to see you more often."

"Well thanks, when I'm not being hijacked on my school trip, you definitely will." I responded, and he nodded, turning to Peter.

"You've got a great gift Parker, but you didn't wanna be here."

"Mr Fury, I-" Peter started, but Fury cut him off.

"I'd love to have you in Berlin too, both of you." He said, looking between us.

"But you've got to decide whether you're going to step up or not."

"We will." I spoke for us, and Fury nodded, locking eyes with Peter.

"Stark chose you, he made you an Avenger, and I need that." He said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"The world needs that, but maybe Stark was wrong." Fury said, making Peter sigh.

"Was he?"

Peter looked devastated, and Fury gave him a blank look.

"You know the choice is yours."

Hill and Fury walked away, leaving Peter, Beck and I in silence, while my boyfriend wallowed in his own disappointment.

Beck stood up and walked over to him, placing a hand on his shoulder comfortingly, much to both of our surprise.

"Let's go get a drink."

Peter turned to look at me while Beck walked into a bar, and I laughed, knowing what he was going to say.

"I'm not legal, I can't drink." He whispered, making me shrug and take his hand while I laughed.

"That doesn't matter, let's just go." I said, and we walked to the bar.

Peter sat next to Beck, and I sat on the other side of my boyfriend.

"Hey." Beck said, patting Peter on the shoulder comfortingly.

"You've got to celebrate, you did something good tonight, both of you."

"Yeah." Peter sighed, and Beck pat him on the back again, trying to get his spirits up.

"Fury was right." Peter said, looking at me.

"You think?" I asked, and he nodded

"Yeah, Tony did a lot for me, so I owe it to him and to everybody."

"Do you?" Beck asked, and Peter frantically nodded again.

"Of course, I mean Mr Stark gave me the chance to be more, he wanted me to be better than him, and Fury just wants me to live up to that."