• twelve •

Phoenix Haynes

I sat next to Nebula and Tony while they played paper football, thinking about Peter.

We were stuck in the endless void of space, and I couldn't help but think it would suck a little less if he was here.

But he's not.

"You don't need to do that, because you're just holding position." Tony told her, and she flicked the paper football towards him. 

"Oh yeah, that was close."

Nebula flicked it towards Tony, scoring a goal.

"That's a goal, we're now one apiece."

"I would like to try again." Nebula said, her tone serious, but that was normal for her.

"We're tied up, feel the tension? It's fun."

I turned to look at the wall, thinking about Peter.

"That was terrible, now you have a chance to win."

Was there an afterlife for him?

Was it a nice one?

"And you've won, congratulations. Fair game, you're a good sport. Did you have fun?"

How was I going to go back to a life without Peter in it?

"It was fun."

"I'm gonna go to bed, goodnight." I smiled at Tony and Nebula, who were about to start another game.

Tony gave me a soft smile, and Nebula nodded, which was more than enough for her.

I sat in the copilot seat, wrapping myself in a blanket and looking out into the void of space.

We were stuck out here.

This was my nightmare.

Tony and I were going to die.

I tried to push the thoughts out of my mind, but I could only do so much.

Nebula tucked Tony in next to me,and he slowly slipped his hand in mine, both of us knowing our fate.

"I'm sorry, Nebula." I whispered, and she just gave my shoulder a soft pat before walking out of the room.

"You okay?" Tony asked me quietly, and I just shrugged, brushing his skin with my thumb as he sighed.

"Not really, are you?" I asked, and we locked eyes as he shook his head.

"No."

"Do you think we'll see Peter?" I whispered, turning to look out at the starts, making Tony sigh again.

"I hope so."

"For what it's worth, it's been a honour knowing you." I said, and Tony smiled softly at me.

"I know."