• four •

Phoenix Haynes

Phoenix Haynes

"So, what brings you here?"

"I don't know, Spiderboy." I said, crossing my arms over my chest and looking at him.

"Maybe it's the emergency button that someone decided to press."

"Well, I wanted you to see this." He said, grabbing my shoulders and turning me around so I could see the city.

"You ready?" He asked and I nodded.

"Three," I felt his hands move from my shoulders, to my upper arms.

"Two," He moved his hands to my forearms, and I felt butterflies form.

"One."

He intertwined our hands together, and I watched fireworks shoot up into the night sky.

"Oh, wow." I whispered, keeping his hand in mine, and we silently watched them explode into cascades of colour.

"Pretty, right?"

"Beautiful." I responded, making him chuckle.

"Does it count as an emergency?"

"Definitely not, but I'm not complaining." I smiled, even though he couldn't see it.

"Good."

"How did you know there were going to be fireworks?" I asked, turning to face him, keeping his hand in mine.

"Because I organised them." He responded, making me gasp.

"You're joking, right?" I asked, making him shake his head.

"No, I heard about a guy who sets off fireworks for a job, so I thought I'd surprise you."

"You did this for me?" I questioned him, and he nodded.

"It's not a big deal."

"It is a big deal!" I exclaimed, putting my hands on his shoulders.

"No one has done anything like this for me, ever."

"I just thought it would make you happy." He said, and I could tell he was smiling, even though I couldn't see his face.

"You did this for me, but you don't know anything about me." I sighed, and he shrugged.

"I don't need to."

"I want you to, ask me anything." I said, sitting on the edge, and he sat next to me.

Comfortably close.

"What's your name?"

"Nope, nice try." I laughed, making him join in.

"It was worth a shot."

"Was it, though?" I asked, and he shrugged.

"Not really."