28 ↝ Little Mermaid

"Just a kiss on your lips in the moonlight,
Just a touch of the fire burning so bright,
Be the one I've been waiting for my whole life."
Just A Kiss - Lady A

The boys have gone all out for this party.

We could hear the loud bass of the music as soon as we exited the university's back gate and started down the street. There are cars parked along the sidewalk, people on the street outside the house, on the yard, and on the patio.

Clearly everyone wanted to attend the last party of the semester.

The four of us push our way inside through the small crowd, the usual smell of alcohol, cologne and weed drifting around. The living room has been cleared up, the couches and tables pushed against walls to create a makeshift dance floor. A table is set up for beer pong, as well. Music booms through the speaker system, and to the left, the kitchen island is stocked with booze and snacks, along with a beer keg. I spot a few of the soccer boys scattered around the place, I even spot Elliot chugging beers left and right, competing against one of the freshman soccer players.

"What do you want, babe?" Nessa asks, reaching over and grabbing a couple of new solo cups that are stacked on the counter.

"Um, something light I guess?" I mutter, suddenly feeling very hot. I slip off the jacket, folding it over my arm.

I notice a few eyes glancing at me, mainly boys who're dispersed around the kitchen. Trying to hide my warming cheeks, I turn away, focusing on Nessa, who is shaking her head.

"No. You, ma'am, are getting drunk tonight." She grins, picking up a huge Absolut vodka bottle.

"I second that." Kiara chimes in, pouring herself and Chloe beer from the keg.

"Okay, but why?"

"Because I'd like to witness drunk Alex." Nessa winks. "And, you need to loosen up. We've had an intense last few weeks."

"I guess so." I sigh. "I could use some unwinding."

"I'll make you my best and favourite." Nessa gets to work, pouring my cup halfway with Absolut vodka, and then Coke, and adding tons of ice.

"What's this?" I ask as she hands me the cup.

"Not sure what it's called, but we've been making it since freshman year. It's so good."

"Alright," I shrug, lifting the cup to my nose. The strong smell of vodka and soda stings my nose as I take a sip, the fiery liquid slipping down my throat, and I clear my throat.

"Fuck," I lick my lips. "That's strong."

"That's the point, sweetheart." Nessa laughs, proceeding to make one for herself.

"Right." I chuckle, plopping myself up onto the kitchen stool with great difficulty, trying not to flash anyone.

"Ladies!" I hear Kye's voice hoot, and he emerges into the kitchen seconds later, clearly tipsy but seemingly very happy to see us.

"My girls." He wraps an arm around my shoulder lazily and boops Nessa's nose.

"Hey Kye," I greet, smiling up at him. I smell the alcohol mixed with his woodsy aftershave on him, when he leans closer to me, his body radiating heat.

"Alex, you look amazing." He slurs, squeezing my cheeks. "Gorgeous."

I grin. "Thanks Kye, you look handsome yourself."

Kye's wearing an army green hoodie paired with black jeans. His hair is messily tousled, as if someone ran their fingers through them multiple times.