51 ↝ Ride Or Die

"But between the drinks and subtle things,
The holes in my apologies, you know,
I'm trying hard to take it back."
We Are Young — FUN

My car's engine purrs underneath me like a sleeping cat as I pull up into the soccer house driveway

My car's engine purrs underneath me like a sleeping cat as I pull up into the soccer house driveway. The evening sky is gorgeous above me as I get out of the car, but I don't have the mental capacity to admire it.

Alex is due to be released from the hospital in about an hour, and we'd decided that she would stay in the soccer house. There's more space, more people to watch out for her, and she said she feels safer there than she does in her dorm.

Right before I left the hospital, she'd asked to see me again. She mentioned that if she's staying at the soccer house, the boys will have to know what's going on.

I didn't have even a single doubt in my head that all of my teammates would understand and be there for her, and I told her that. Alex agreed, and gave me permission to let them know the situation, along with what happened back in the UK.

So Kye, Leo and Kiara told me that they'd bring her in Kye's car, and I came before them to break the news to the boys and make sure everything is ready for her.

I'm nervous, but I know my boys will come through. They've never given me a reason to think any different.

Trudging up the porch steps, I open the front door, to find it unlocked like it usually is. The only time we lock it if no one's at home or at night, because most of the time people forget their keys, and it's a safe neighborhood.

I hear the usual commotion from the living room, the sounds of video games and chatter. Shrugging off my jacket, I hang it on the back of the door before walking into the living room.

They're all so mixed up in their own shit, they barely notice my arrival. I look around, relieved that they're all here, except Leo and Kye, who are still at the hospital with Alex. It's a Sunday evening, so there's not much to do, hence why they're all at home.

Taking a deep breath, I walk to the front of the TV and switch it off. I'm met with a chorus of protests, until I hold my hand up.

"I need to talk to you guys."

The serious tone of my voice and the stoic look on my face tells them enough, so they all quiet down, sitting up to hear what I have to say.

"Mate, you okay?" Liam speaks, looking at my bandaged hands.

"Yeah." I grunt, falling into the empty armchair nearest to me. I let my eyes shift over everyone, taking in my teammates. My brothers.

Slowly and cautiously, I tell them everything. Starting from what happened to Alex in the UK, and what happened last night. All of them already know that I take part in boxing matches, so that part doesn't come as news to them.