19 ↝ Negative Nancy

"Pictures in my mind on replay,
I'm gonna touch the pain away,
I know how to scream my own name."
Love Myself - Hailee Steinfeld

It was nearly 3am when we all stumbled out of the karaoke bar

True to his word, Kye sang the 'I'm a Barbie girl' song with poor Jack, who looked like he wanted the ground to crack open and swallow him up the entire time they were on stage.

The boys and I drop off the girls at their respective dorms, before retreating back to the soccer house. After mumbling goodnight to my friends, I let myself into my room, immediately taking a warm shower before changing into a pair of sweats and getting into bed.

I lay awake, my mind whirring over the events of tonight.

They feel unreal, like a dream I'd just woken up from or like a movie I just finished watching. I can still feel her hand in mine, her small body against mine as we twirled around the dance floor, and I can remember the way the snowflakes fell on her eyelashes, the way the lights of the city reflected in her eyes.

Every single detail about her is etched into my mind like a delicate artwork. I can't get her out of my head, and I feel like a silly middle schooler with a crush on the girl that sits next to him in class.

Maybe if things were different, maybe if I didn't have so much to hide, if I wasn't so fucked up, we could've been together.

My heart squeezes a little at all the what if's and maybe's.

Sleep overcomes me slowly, my dreams consisting of a pair of forest green eyes and the most gorgeous smile I've ever been lucky enough to witness.

✢  ✢   ✢

The next morning, I wake up with a dull headache throbbing in the back of my head. Exhaustion weighs on my limbs like boulders, the stale taste of tequila still left behind on my tongue.

Shoving my duvet off my body, I rub the sleep out of my eyes as my legs drag themselves over to the bathroom. After brushing my teeth and immersing myself in a hot shower, I feel slightly better. But, the drowsiness still lingers in my body as I rummage through my closet for clothes.

Deciding on a pair of joggers and a NRU hoodie, I pull them on, following up with deodorant and cologne before pulling on a pair of Timberlands, settling a beanie over my head for extra protection against the cold.

Grabbing my book bag, leather jacket and laptop, I make my way downstairs, my stomach grumbling for food. A few of the boys are already in the kitchen, the remaining of them probably already in class or still in bed.

"Morning, mate." Liam nods his head in greeting as I take a seat by the island, dropping my things on the marble counter.

"Morning." I flick damp strands of hair off my forehead, just as Leo passes me a bowl and a spoon along with the milk and cereal.