52 ↝ Fruity Beer

"I've been waking up alone,
I haven't thought of her for days,
I'll be honest, it's better off this way."
Our Song — Anne Marie & Niall Horan

"I can't believe you kicked my ass again

"I can't believe you kicked my ass again." Kye whines, throwing the controller on the beanbag next to him, and I manage a slow smile, leaning over to poke his cheek.

"I'll let you win next time."

"Anyone want some RedBull?" Oliver asks as he slides off the couch from behind me, walking to the kitchen.

Most of the boys that are seated around me chorus that they want one as well, and Oliver grumbles as he disappears out of the living room.

Everyone is hanging out in the living room, like we always do. Hunter is sitting right behind me on the couch, his knee right next to my head. Nessa and Miles are bickering over some TikTok, and Kye is challenging Leo for another game. The rest of the boys are at classes, or have gone home for the weekend.

"No, Kye, I wanna play now." Liam grumbles. "Budge up, mate."

"No," Kye groans in response, clutching on to the controller like his life depends on it.

"Liam, you can take my place," I say, getting to my feet, tossing him my controller. "If I keep playing Kye will combust."

Liam laughs, taking my spot. I sink into the couch next to Hunter, and he looks at me, smiling softly, and my heart sinks a little at the sight.

His smile doesn't reach his eyes.

I've been noticing things about him ever since that night. He's practically oozing unease, like his head is filled to the brim, and he can't function or think properly. He doesn't kiss me first unless I make a move, or touch me first, even when we're alone.

It's unsettling me, and I've been trying to ignore it, pinning it on the assumption that maybe he's still shaken up from everything that happened, but it feels like there's something more.

"Hey!" Jack's voice calls out, interrupting my thoughts. I hear the front door slamming shut. "Alex, there's something for you."

He scampers into the living room with a flower bouquet, walking over to me and plopping it onto my lap.

It's a bouquet of pink and white tulips, arranged beautifully together. I reach for the note that's attached to the stem as Jack stalks away to Liam, trying to snag the controller off of him.

Drawing my attention away from them, I read the delicate cursive text on the small cream coloured paper.

To Alex.
Sending all our love.
Kate, Lilly, Celia and Milo.

My heart warms, and I look up at Hunter, gently hugging the flowers to my chest. He had asked me if I can tell his mother about what happened awhile ago, because she'd been asking him about me. I'd said yes, of course, but I never expected this.