01 ↝ New Beginnings

"You'd be playing with fire, so don't believe the lie, it comes with a price."
- The Devil Is A Liar by Colton Dixon

" - The Devil Is A Liar by Colton Dixon

New beginnings are scary.

Even if it's your first time going to high school, first time moving into a house of your own all alone, or the first day of the job you've worked so hard to get.

Right now, sitting on this uncomfortable leather seat of the huge auditorium I'm in, the harsh air conditioning making my nose feel dry, listening to the Dean of my new university talk about new beginnings and stepping into adulthood, my heart feels like it's in my throat.

This is all miles away from my comfort zone, everything from the different accents, to the different weather, the unfamiliarity of it all is almost overwhelming. Not knowing what my future holds, if I'd find friends, or if my overbearing trust issues will make me a loner.

"... and that is all for now students, thank you all for coming and welcome to North Regal University. Your student guides will come to you judged by the colour of the wristband that was handed to you when you entered. Please stay put so you will be shown to your dorms, and you may ask your student guides for help if required. Have a good day."

The Dean steps off the stage, and I heave a sigh I didn't know I was holding. The freshmen and new students around me shuffle and get to their feet, trying to look for their student guides.

I stay seated, trying to calm myself down. If the fact that I'm new in a university isn't nerve wracking enough, attending a new university in a whole new country all alone is ten times worse. Back home in the UK, I was definitely more at ease during my first day of university. I had my friends that I'd known all my life by my side, I had my family to come home to after a long day of classes.

Here, in New York, which is a whole new world from London, I have nothing.

I'm caught up in my thoughts about home when a pretty girl approaches me. She's a few inches shorter than me, with fair skin, bright green eyes, and long, thick golden hair. She also sported a cute button nose and plump pink lips that had a shimmery lip gloss on them. She reminds me of the princess from Tangled.

"Hi, are you Alex?" She asks, flashing her perfectly white teeth in a welcoming smile as she thrusts her hand out to me.

"Yeah," I reply, shaking her hand.

"I'm Nessa, your student guide and roommate," She informs me and I feel a small weight lift off my shoulders.

I had been nervous about having a roommate, I didn't want to be stuck with someone mean and unfriendly for a whole three years, and I'm relieved that Nessa is nice and welcoming.

"Hi," I smile back.

"I'll show you to our dorm now, and help you get settled," She says, pulling out a few sheets of paper and handing it to me. "This is your schedule, important events at university this semester, and some basic rules and regulations."