09 ↝ Supernatural Geek

"Life is short with a temper like Joe Pesci,
They always come and sing your praises,
Your name is catchy,
But they don't see you how I see you."
- Holy by Justin Bieber

I feel an elbow nudge my shoulder, and I lift my eyes from the textbook I'm reading to look at Nessa. She's looking straight ahead, and I follow her gaze to see her looking at Hunter, who's walking into the cafe.

He makes a straight beeline to the counter, ordering something.

"What?" I ask, trying my best to draw my eyes away from him.

Instead of replying, Nessa smirks, and I groan softly in response, rolling my eyes.

Ever since she found me wearing Hunter's hoodie and t-shirt the morning after the night I was at the soccer house about a week ago, she's been nudging, poking, and winking at me whenever Hunter's around.

"Nessa." I sigh, going back to my homework.

"Alex, you don't realise how much of a big deal this is. Hunter doesn't give his clothes to anyone, and has never taken anyone on his bike. Not even Maya!"

"Just because he gave me his clothes doesn't mean he fancies me. Any one of the boys could have given me clothes that night." I retort, taking a sip of my Frappuccino, avoiding the statement about his bike because I don't know what to say to that.

Before Nessa can respond, Hunter walks over to us. He offers me a nod of acknowledgment, before turning to Nessa, and asking her about some class they had together.

I tune their conversation out and resume my homework. Finals are just a few weeks away and I need to focus. After their chat, Hunter gives both of us a small wave goodbye and walks off.

"I'll be going to the city tonight, an old friend is here for vacation and she wanted me to show her around to a few clubs." Nessa says. "Do you want to come with?"

I shake my head. "Thanks but no, I have an enormous workload to finish."

Nessa pouts. "Alright then. I'll be staying with her tonight because we might run really late and I don't want to come to campus all alone in the middle of the night."

I nod. "No worries. Stay safe, text me throughout?"

Nessa wraps an arm around me affectionately. "Sure, mom."

✢ ✢ ✢

I groan to myself as I shut the textbook, a part of me grateful that one assignment is done, and the other part annoyed that I still have more to do. I pull out my sketchbook, flipping to the artwork I have yet to finish.

It's due tomorrow, and I'm not even halfway through. It's nearly midnight, and Nessa had texted me that she's still with her friend in the city a few minutes ago. I have the dorm to myself, and it feels odd and lonely without Nessa's bubbly presence.

My stomach grumbles, and I get to my feet, deciding to take a small dinner break. I walk to our little kitchenette and pull out a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese. I'm about to turn the stove on, when I hear a knock on the door.

I frown, wondering who it is at this time, walking over to the door. A soft gasp leaves my lips when I open the door fully.

Hunter is leaning against the doorframe, unable to hold himself up on his own. His lip is bleeding, and a cut ran under his eye, also bleeding. His white t-shirt is dirty and has patches of dried blood on it, sticking to his body because of the sweat. His knuckles are bloody and busted, his hair damp with sweat and matted against his forehead. His skin is pale, and his lips have lost it's colour as well.