53 ↝ Feel Like Home

"Cause I'm a broken home,
You're better off alone,
You better run from me."
Flames — ZAYN

"They call it a what?" Alec guffaws, pure confusion washing over his features as I crack a smile.

"Cookies. Biscuits mean something else completely over here." I laugh, nudging the plate of warm chocolate chip cookies in his direction, and Alec shrugs, snagging one of them off the plate and taking a bite.

"Mmmf," He hums. "Whatever they call it, this is absolutely brilliant."

"Right?" I stir my tea, setting down the tiny spoon. "It's so gooey."

"Are you planning on going back for classes?" Alec asks, dusting cookie crumbs off his shirt.

I nod. "Yeah. I don't want to miss anything more."

"I suppose I'll have to find ways to entertain myself while you're in class." Alec says, looking around us. We're at one of the cafés in the city, at a table in the outdoor seating area. There's people bustling by us on the sidewalk, taxi's zipping past on the road not even a foot away, and skyscrapers stretching high into the sky above us.

"What do you have in mind?"

My big brother grins, fishing out a brochure from his jacket and spreading it out on the table. It's one of those touristy maps of New York, with details of all the famous tourist attractions of the city.

"Might as well go full on tourist mode. See the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, get one of those I LOVE NYC t-shirts for Willow." He chuckles, and I shake my head, a smile on my own face.

"Sure, why not?"

"What are we doing next?" Alec picks up the last cookie as I finish off my tea.

"Hmm," I ponder. "Fifth Avenue? Good place to pickup some exclusive stuff."

"I'd say hell no that's boring but I've got to get some stuff for Willow." Alec gets to his feet, and I mimic his actions, falling into step next to him as we begin walking down the street.

I link my arm through his. "Great, I know just the place."

Three hours later, I'm carrying two bags, Alec juggling four, the result of his little shopping spree. I've never seen a guy so excited to see sales.

"If I live here," Alec chuckles as we walk down the pavement that leads to the university. "I'll be broke in no time."

"Bloody right you will be, you're worse than me when it comes to self control." I laugh, shifting the bags from one hand on the other, because the straps are starting to hurt my fingers.

Alec and I finally walk past the enormous campus gates, starting down the walkways towards the dorm buildings. As we're passing by one of the courtyards, I spot Hunter, walking out of a lecture hall with Miles.

I debate if I should walk over to him and say hi, or catch him later, when Hunter lifts his head, his eyes directly finding me as if on instinct, even though we have an entire courtyard between us.

Mustering up a smile, I'm about to lift my hand and wave, when he pries his eyes off of me, returning his attention to Miles as the two of them walk in the opposite direction, probably towards the field for soccer practice.