Chapter 35 Featherless

Elena could feel the presence of two men boarding the ship from below. It was a blessed thing to do, the ability to sense others who have aura. It was also convenient to be able to assess them through it. It can be difficult sometimes, especially when some can suppress their aura or even conceal it, as she has recently learned. But the two who boarded them gave no attempt to such an action. It was clearly the aura of mages, so unlike the aura that knights produced; far more streamed and fluid, like water than the grainy flow of most knights. But she knew it also to be trouble as well. She knew about the Ravens. Every knight is told about the ravens. They were responsible for making sure knights do not make it to the mainland, and knights were told strictly to stay away from them and from Torlak. It was one thing discussing it with Lyse, sneaking into a country people like them swore never to enter, but now that the enforcers of such an act were here, it was far more stressful than what she could prepare herself.

She felt the urge to go up there to see how things panned out. Lyse was already on deck, showing the ravens the documents proving him an ambassador, and the rest of them simple mercenaries or guildsmen under their charge. But if things go wrong, she felt the need to be there. She almost wandered off to try and listen in on what's being said, but before she could poke her head out of the door, Gray pulled her back in.

"Have you gone mad Elena," he whispered, anxiousness creeping into his voice.

"Sorry, I wasn't thinking."

"Well, keep a level head," he told her. "Our necks are quite literally on the line, you know."

"We are just mere mercenaries, aren't we?" she turned to him. He still had her by the arm, as if for any reason, she will start bolting for the deck to announce them all. "It would be strange if we weren't doing our duty."

"Our duty is staying alive," he rebuttal. "We don't know how they detect knights. "For all we may know, they might have already arrested Lyse. Please just lie low."

She gave a reluctant sigh, moving to sit on her bed. It felt weird not being the one to call the shots. IT wasn't necessarily her fault. Despite her father being a general and her receiving much training in combat and working in a team and leading men into battle, she found herself far below command in this party, something she still is unsure of how to feel. Celia was a veteran, respected even amongst older knights, and such a legend that even those trained just a decade later know of her in mere whispers, if at all. It makes all the sense that she would be the one to guide them somewhat. But by far, Lyse took the helm when she was injured. It was him who acted the quickest when they were being chased across the plains and concocted the plans that led them all here in the first place. Was she really delegated to merely an advisory body so quickly? And poor Gray, who follows her because of friendship, a need to be there to help. And she's here out of a sense of justice.

She took a long breath to calm her nerves. Lyse has yet to let them down; it would be akin to cowardice to doubt him now. However, she can not quite picture Lyse lying. She couldn't even imagine it, and maybe that was a source of the stress that arose in her. Then the door suddenly creaked back open, and Edlund stepped into the room almost silently, his sword tucked into his travelers cloak to conceal it. She cursed under her breath, realizing that she too was carrying a blade that would clearly designate her a knight, Gray as well. They might not be able to walk in public with them.

"How are things going up there, Edlund," she asked him as he shut the door behind them.

"Lyse is talking, and I think that's enough to break the load," he scratched the back of his head, sharing the anxiety Elena was feeling at that moment. "They seem to be buying it. Though, it's hard to tell with how coy and mysterious they are. At least the pirates up there, and they seem to not really like her all that much either. Seemed half ready to toss her to the gallows themselves."