Chapter 47 Intentions

Celia brushed a loose strand of hair from Massia's messy hair. She was stirring now in her sleep, and a little color had come back to her cheeks. Whenever she checks her eyes, the paleness that had startled her once had gone, and her crystal blue eyes had returned, though a little paler than she remembers. She hopes they could return to their former brilliance. They know little of this process of creating the Makhai. Never before have they ever stopped it before the effects settled in. Hollow, black eyes, deathly fair skin, and a lack of emotion. She thanks everyone for rescuing Massia in time. She could have lost her forever, no way to get her back once it was complete. And her resolve had somehow softened with this knowledge. She had gotten her daughter back, and now they were on the rocky trail of Arkouda headed to the plains of Aetos, then Liontari, where they will travel through the forest once more to enter Silondras. There, they will be safe. Hopefully, they may take a small breath of relief from the tribulations that plagued their feet all their way here. She was protected by two knights as well.

"How are you two?" Elena asked from the coach, next to Gray. They stopped by a knight's quarter to get better armor for the two. Elena looked well worn for the armor. She thought it best to stay out there with Gray, keeping an extra pair of eyes on the road in case something comes for them. "It's been quiet for the past few days."

"All the better," she said. "If fate has it, we'll be attacked simply for tempting him."

"Well, we are going to be out of these Rockies in a few, might want to stop to find some good shelter before then," Gray called from out of view, followed by the whipping of the horses. "You know, this place is a hotbed for iron ore. You can see it on the rocks. Perhaps I shall tell my father."

"Is your blacksmithing any help in finding a cave for us?" Elena questioned.

"You know, I kind of miss Lyse for some odd reason," he grumbled, then gestured with his whip over to the right, through some thickets of trees. "Saw some foxes scuttle their way around that rock. Maybe a cave, maybe not."

Elena frowned but indeed hopped off the cart and ran after where Gray had pointed. Her focused nature reminded her a lot of Lyse. She seemed like a reasonable and honest person. If she met her in the army when they were younger, they could have become good friends, perhaps. Though she thought she bends a little too easy to suggestions. She wonders how Lyse even convinced these two people to come along on this journey. While they are no longer skeptical of the stakes presented, it is evident within the few times they conversate before her that there was an obvious hesitation in the way they act. They were out of their element, something to be expected. But more than that, Lyse seems to trust them more than they do him, and that concerns him to an extent.

She hopes Makyra can watch over Edlund and Lyse. Lyse was a bright boy, far more intelligent and wise than he ought to be. But he can be brash; he can run into things without taking the time to think. Going on this journey in the first place was something she would have bruised his knuckles over. And Edlund followed whatever Lyse's does, no matter how reluctant he may seem. Hopefully, Makyra being the cautious type, will remind them not to run into the fire. Or, Lyse will not consult her, and she spends the time running after him to protect him. But what kept her mind running was that she could still sense the pendant. She had a little peace of mind, knowing where he was. She could run straight to him with no confusion whatsoever. But even so, the buzz she felt at the core of her thoughts was an uncomfortable knowledge.

Elena slowly approached the opening of the cave, where Gray saw a few foxes climb inside. She didn't draw her sword; it was unnecessary when dealing with such a timid beast. That steel is meant for monstrous flesh. But she still kept an eye out. Arkoudan hills are well known for having creatures pounce upon you from the tall trees or the mountainside. From giant scorpions to giants to man-eating horses. Caves are a favored resident for these kinds of creatures when they are not out hunting. The cave was quite large, larger than she anticipated, the rough circular layout tunneling through the pact ground, the entrance alone would be three or four men high and twenty across. She slowly walked in, paying no heed to the timid foxes that ran around her in a wide arch and scatter into the forests. She could sense nothing else nearby, nor could she determine whether or not it was used by a monster recently. It was fairly bare, with no signs of a kill or discarded carcass. The tracks were hard to determine from how tight and pact the ground was; she could barely see the tracks the foxes left behind. It was not the most ideal shelter, but it should serve them well enough if they are diligent.