Chapter 21 The Plains

It has been a week since they had left Liontari. It was generally agreed that there will be no farewells this time, as was Celia's wish. This wish was not without a little debate, mostly from Lyse than from Edlund or the others. This came to a surprise to a few, especially Celia. Then again, much of the first night had been arguments of Lyse not wishing for her to come along, and continue her recovery. Edlund noticed him trying to take all the responsibility, as usual. He likes to take all the responsibility, but none of the credit. The two didn't talk much on the second day, more stand-offish and considering, as if anticipating what the other would say next to refute their argument, which never happened. They managed to make a lot of ground, but the only talking was among Elena, Gray, and Edlund. Lyse headed out for navigation, and Celia covered their rear and looked for anyone potentially following them. Two positions that stayed far from one another. It seemed that they will stay in this for the rest of the ride, but eventually, Lyse caved on their third night in, pulling his horse to the rear to join her in a discussion. A discussion, not an argument, which was a nice change of pace from the past few days. He seemed more agreeable after that, and he eventually pulled his horseback up to speak to all of them

The area's around the village had always been scarce after the harvest, but Lyse knew that they will truly be within the plains, and feel the full force the night brings with its creatures. They would see Nemean lions spotted here or there, the shiny beige fur reflecting the sun's rays. They made sure to make large arcs over those prides they found, and keep an eye out for any day hunters. The lions seemed more interested in the golden stags that would graze in groups than four horses and people with careful movements. Lyse saw the campsite that his father used in his last travels, and decided to stop here for a mid-day break off horseback.

"We can rest here for a few moments," he dismounted. As he remembered, the hill was a bit taller than most, looking out in all directions with one tall tree and brush to mark anything from the browning plains.

"I'll head out to see if anything more is blocking our way," Celia told him. She was the only one who didn't have a horse, the one that was meant to use instead of serving as a packhorse. Lyse had heard of the incredible stamina of Thirians, but she was able to keep up all this time without breath. He gave her a thoughtful look, one she returned, before running off over the hill to the west.

Elena sighed, tying the reins of her horse to the tree limbs. "I really didn't expect you to be so argumentative with your mother. Especially a mother who is also Thirian."

Lyse's eyes furrowed a bit, still looking off in the direction his mother had gone. "She shouldn't be out here. She still hasn't recovered from that night."

Edlund scoffed. "Yeah, if I had a bad leg I'm sure I could run fifty miles at the speed of a damned horse. I know you worry about her, Lyse, but she carries herself better than us honestly."

"You're right," he sighed, turning to go through the packs with Gray. The supply that Gray had brought was near overbearing, seemingly every pack used for something. But it was easy to find what was needed. "I can be worried, can't I. Be she my mother or my sister, I don't want her risking her life for something I can do."

"Well, it's clear she's been doing this a lot longer," Gray told him, taking out rations of pork, crackers, and water. "Remember, we are still just knights fresh off the spit. Having her actually makes me think we'll get out of this alive."

That was the thing. A part of him was really glad to have her here. He can not lie to himself and say the contrary out loud. He wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving her into the village, which has proven not to be safe. If they are after him, then they are most certainly still after her if they know she is still alive. There is nowhere for her to hide, and no matter how powerful she is, a troop of fifty Talin warriors will surely be her undoing. It has already and left his father dead, and her within an inch of her life. His worst fear, having her along on this journey, this quest, is that she will die before him, him helpless to do anything but watch. Or perhaps worst. Maybe they capture her as well. What if Massia dies in this, and he has to watch her suffer even more than they already have. In all of these scenarios, which has been running in his mind for the past couple of days, he wouldn't know how to live with himself, if he did. They have been lucky so far if one would call these events lucky. How long will that last?