Chapter 30 The Harbor

This was officially the farthest that Elena has been from her home. It was a strange thought, a thought she did not expect to have now. She doesn't even know how she could tell how far away she was without the map, but she knew. As the ship lurched, from her room she shared with a sleeping Gray, she felt a small connection somehow being severed from where she was from. This must have been what it was like to leave home, truly. Out of range of a simple letter really. And her father was on the fronts with the Frostlandians as their annual war became more and more violent. Their Manor would be empty now, only the servants to decorate the halls till she returns. When she returns. There was no uncertainty whether or not she will come home. No matter how close to death, she refused to believe so. Even still, the thought of that cold hand on her throat, a blade placed at the base of her head, she wished not to dwell upon it.

Gray was getting more and more anxious, understandably. He was wary of traveling these roads before. And now that they know to what danger they face, she can tell he's about ready to leave now. She did not blame him, it's the sensible thing to do. But sometimes knights and heroes don't do the most sensible of things. Outright stupidity could lead to much joy and happiness. And she trusts Lyse enough to follow on that path, as he has proven time and time again so far. Lyse. What does she think of that man? He seems like a fairy tail walking in a human form. But still, he is grounded. A picture of what knights hold to their students, and wish them to be. And he doesn't lack passion.

This is, however, for that she has no idea how to handle. It wasn't as overt as Shi'Ased or the Frostlands. They were far more terrifying because you don't know when or where they will strike. And while their goals are defined, as per Lyse's description, their entire relationship with these so-called gods and deities far exceeded what she expected of this sudden journey. She wasn't going to die, but it was daunting what lies before them. The world suddenly became several times larger than she imagined, and she can't even trust what she does know anymore.

It was hard to sleep. She watched as Gray eventually nod off, despite his complaints about the damp conditions. The boats rocking made her stomach almost a bit too in sync, and she felt the need to get fresher air. The very small hall that led to the small rooms was narrow, with only an oil lamp lit at the end of one hall. The only thing covering the wood is a half-ruined wool carpet as thick as shoe soles. The night sky could be seen up the stairs where she expected some of the men to be still working on the boats coarse. She was fairly surprised at how fast they moved. It hasn't been but an hour and she could barely see the lights of the city against the horizon. Albun worked the wheel as two men kept close to the sails. One was on top of a box, holding both hands up. On his darker, sun-baked skin were a few tattoos, patterns associated with what little she knows of Torlakian magic. It was quite astonishing, actually, to find a mage all alone in the clans. After Remmus decreed against teaching magic to outsiders, many simply left to live in Torlak. Those few who remained are carefully watched by the military police. The fact he's here meant that those procedures aren't as tight as anyone seemed them to be. He stirred the wind and rattled the water, pushing two or three times faster than what they would have traveled normally. Every so often, the two men working the deck would come and adjust the sails to get the most out of his magic.

"Pretty amazing, isn't it?" She looked over to see Lyse leaning over the rail, watching the land go by with that analytical gaze. He didn't wear his cloak anymore, settling with the cotton grey shirt and pants. The pendant he always wore was tucked beneath, glowing slightly. She wondered now if he knew something of magic as well. "Albun told me he was a student in the outlands. But when Torlakian magic being taught was outlawed, he had to go elsewhere and use his talents sparingly. An amazing talent to have, I must say."

"Do you know a little of this talent," she joined him at the rail, seeing the small smile that had formed.

"What if I do?" He asked coyly. "A knight using magic, what a thing that must be to imagine. I may know something, but it's not something I can use as sparingly as this man here."