Chapter 4 Attacks in the Dark

By morning, they were off. Lyse and Edlund said goodbye to all their friends, the few who lived in the village. Those who lived on their estate were nowhere to be seen that morning. Hardly anyone took the time to greet them. Men and women sifted through some of the burnt houses for any property, a body covered in blood and ash. Finally, they were claimed by the masked doctor, who loaded them all on carts for proper pyre funerals. They wished to visit Lidia's noble family on the hill. Still, the doors didn't seem open for any visitors, as guards were patrolled even more tightly and turning away potential visitors. Lyse knew that it was partly in response to Lidia's late arrival home and the attack on his home, but he feels pained not to be able to say goodbye to her one more time. Next, he said goodbye to his fellow squires, most of which were other sons and daughters of farmers, merchants, and blacksmiths who yearned to be in their shoes. Even Edlund, as proud as he was, seemed a little ashamed that he was sitting on his horse above the rest of them. Makyra waited impatiently, constantly asking them how long these departures would take. But first, Lyse visited the doctor's house, next to the training grounds for the knights, to see his mother. She was still unconscious, and her wounds were numerous. However, he was glad to see that many were bandaged and shallow, and her breathing unlabored. He gave her a kiss on the forehead, a promise to rescue his sister, and a shallow goodbye. Makyra stepped up as well, a bit to his surprise, and said a few words under her breathe, kneeling before his mother. He was curious. He never saw a person do such a thing for another. She said it meant nothing, but he didn't believe her. As stoic as she wanted to appear, he saw through it a bit more than others.

Nevertheless, they were all outbound from the small town of BrokenArrow, the sun's rays just cresting the horizon behind them, and the darkness that will enclose them for days before them. Makyra held the lantern a point, having the horse on a steady pace as she leads him and Edlund into the midst of the Forest of Silence. The name was obvious. Once a person enters the forests, they are not met with the chirping of insects, nor the hoots of owls overhead. No, they were met by a deafening silence that filled men with panic. The slap of hooves on the dewy dirt path was the only sound echoing through the trees. Unfortunately, this also made them easy targets to find. Manticores and the occasional griffin could be heard from a distance, as their wings made the trees flutter as they pierced the canopy. Lyse felt a chill down his spine, as if being watched, and saw the same uneasiness in both Makyra and Edlund. There was silence for the first few hours of the journey. Although the sun should be climbing the blue sky, they could see only darkness looking up. The first day was easy yet eerie. The next, it was hard for him to fall asleep, the silence too menacing to ignore. The final, he felt on the verge of panic. Makyra was not one for conversation, and on the ride, only a few words were exchanged.

Finally, Edlund got too impatient to allow silence to hold. "So, uh, Makyra?"

"Yes?" she asked, obviously not excited to engage in a conversation, but she reluctantly went on. "What is it."

"Just wondering how long you've been a Knight," he told her. "I mean, you don't look much older than us."

While Lyse silently bashed Edlund for his bluntness, he would be a liar if he said he wasn't curious. The knight sighed, turning back to the two of them with eyes that seemed to shine blue through the darkness. "In the coming summer, it shall be my third year."

"Third?" Lyse was undoubtedly surprised. "He has never heard of someone reaching the rank of a sage or a knight in so young an age. Most weren't excepted at an age unless they started training much earlier. Then again, he has yet to see any prowess she possessed, besides her ability to mend wounds.

"Yes," she said, looking down at the passing ground now. "I was recognized by King Imidius II."

"King Imidius," Edlund said slowly. "He died recently."