Chapter 7 The Flaming Serpent

There was a sudden rise of confused and concerned whispers, which the king caught onto and smiled. He waved his hand towards the entrance, the mouth of the cave dark and inviting. "I understand your concerns—ten relics for 60 combatants. I can inform you that you all will be paired into teams of four. Every four-person team will have the chance to return with this artifact. But, there is another problem involved."

"Problem?" Edlund asked, and Lyse looked a bit pale as he realized what the king meant and saw the same worried expression dawn on the faces of many around him."

"Not every team will be able to uncover a relic, and those who don't will be disqualified and will have to return to their masters in shame," The king's announcements made the total confidence less and less. While Lyse tried to wear a straight face, he feared for the worst. That maybe he will not be able to uncover a relic. Immediately he and Edlund were at a disadvantage, as both knew no one outside of their town, and many here were either from the capital or nobles. Many know one another and group dynamics can be found quickly. These problems pounded at his brain, and concern followed. Edlund promptly got a grasp on the stakes as well and saw already that many of their peers were quickly forming their groups, as the king and Paladin patiently awaited and quietly observed those around them. Although he did not doubt his and Lyse's skill, he was sure that both of them together could not complete this mission, especially when they would probably have to fight other four-person groups of knights.

He immediately turned to Gray and Elena, but they were both being approached by a pair of nobles who seemed very adamant that they had joined their group. One wasn't wearing much in armor and carried a single sword at his side. The smile he wore was off-putting, as well as his manner of speaking. He would sway his long golden hair like it was entrancing, which Elena seemed not bothered about. But gray looked very defensive, as if trying to avoid his gaze and shrink behind Elena. Lyse managed to overhear the conversation and wasn't all that comforted by what he heard being exchanged, leaning in closer to hear.

"Come on, with your skill, we could easily clear this silly test. So what is the harm?" he asked Elena, to which she merely nodded.

"I told you, Dagmyre, I am not forming a group with you," she crossed her arms. "I choose whom I ally myself with. You don't have any honor."

"And what does honor have to do with anything," he bit back. His unchallenged demeanor slipped away, leaving only a more cruel smile as if he planned to back her into a corner. "Just because you're having fun with the roach doesn't mean you should associate to his level. You are far better off joining us."

"And I said no," she said firmly, then glanced at Lyse out of the corner of her eye, and smiled. "Besides, we already have our team, don't we, Gray?"

Gray looked a bit confused, glancing at her, till she nodded in Lyse and Edlund's direction, and his eyes brightened to a thankful glow and waved them to come over. As soon as Lyse and Edlund walked into view, next to Elena and Gray, they were met with a scornful look from Dagmyer. Lyse recognized that name. It was a noble family from the capital that had extensive networks in supplying weapons and equipment. He had heard that they are among the wealthier families of the region and that a significant number of properties of the capital and beyond belong to them. Lyse half expected to meet someone like him here. He guessed he was the first in his family to become a knight; how he managed to pass, he could only imagine. And he assumed it took a lot of money. He wonders what is it that connects him to Elena and Gray. But one thing was for sure, he was adamant about seeing her on his side and saw Lyse as an immediate threat, grasping the hilt of his sword in a challenging manner.

"Pray tell, who might you be?" he asked in the most elite of tones.

"None of our business, I can tell you that," Lyse placed his hand on his sword in the same gesture. "Knights are to treat one another with respect and dignity. I don't know if your actions have slipped your mind or if you are a dullard, but our squad has been assembled."