Chapter 15 Call to Action

Sleep came quickly to Lyse that evening, easier than previous attempts. He still felt tired, and spending the afternoon dancing certainly did not help the ache he had in his arms and legs. So, sleep felt welcomed with him.

Dreams of the past couple of nights melded together in his mind. He usually does not remember them, but they had always been horrifying, judging from the sweat he was covered in when he awoke. This dream, however, was a bit more vivid, and he doubted he would forget it soon. It was not one where he was aware, nor like the experience with the goddess. Everything felt too real, but for some reason, he could not figure out what was wrong. He was walking the forest once more, the same as he always had to clear his mind. A lantern in one hand, and a knife in the other, the only protection he took with him this time The silence of the forest was still as deafening, and his thoughts filled the void around him. The void, so comforting and easy to drift into when walking. However, something shattered it in an instant. A sharp cry that broke the strong silence of the forest.

"Lyse!"

He stopped in his tracks, motionless. He was unsure whether or not it was his sister or his mother, but the cry was desperate, too desperate. Without a second thought, he was running with all haste to the house. Although he had been walking for an hour, he was back at the edge of the tree line in just half a minute. He did not know why, but he felt that he needed to be there, that something terrible was going to happen. And when he did finally stop, not out of breath, but unable to breathe, he was again motionless of what he saw. An entire battle seemingly waging on the village now. In the far distance, the silhouette of houses and towers danced in the firelight, engulfing everything in sight, even to the walls. The cornfield was near to ashes now, as he saw men rushing through the crackling fame and towards the village proper, climbing through a hole in the wall that appeared to of been blasted open with tremendous force. All over the field, men battled one another. Knights fought against the dark figures, more falling than those slain by their steel swords. Squires fought too, friends that he even knew were among the faces; Albert, Inthus, Vennearam, Illissia. They all fought, their swords glowing and shouting the call of the empire, but the knights did not share their words. One by one, they were slaughtered. Always from a blind spot, or a misstep. Over striking, taking an ax to the back of the head. Dodging to meet a ready blade piercing their heart, bears mawed all those in their path. He saw his father, wielding a sword. He had seen his father handle blades, but never liked this. He moved with a glide, like practicing sword movements in front of a mirror. The dance flowed through all nearby enemies, severing heads, slitting throats, and piercing bellies in a ballet that made the other knights look clumsy. A lion was beside him, a lion with the face of his mother crudely sitting atop the large body, like a disfigured manticore or sphinx.

"Don't just stand there boy," the voice of his father ranged, but he never turned to him. "Fight them off. Hurry before they take your sister."

"My sister," the small words nearly whistled from his mouth. He turned back to the massive wall to see men on horses, dragging his unconscious sister by her waist to ready horses. The burly man he encountered in the forest stared back at him intently and smiled.

"Follow me, godslayer," he snarled deeply. "Meet your demise, showered in the liquid fire, and by steel and iron and coal. Your soul and power will be forfeited to us. Follow me."

Immediately, Lyse wished to move, to run. Either the fight or the horse, he did not know which, nor did he care. He just wanted to move, to help somehow. But his legs felt stiff, like held down by nails through the soles of his feet. He felt the pendant grow warmer in his shirt, heating his chest. The green and blue glow encased him as he struggled harder and harder, covering every part of him. The green extended down, digging into the ground to spring up thick roots that wrapped around him, grapevines, and the nauseating scent of thick wind surrounding him. He heard the cries of battle grow louder and ever more present within his mind, nearly screaming at him till he could barely think of anything else.