Chapter 56 Haven

20 years ago

Many have forgotten the cause of the civil war. Many have simply memorialized it as simply a conflict of interest. The cohesion that the clan has endured could only exist for so long before something broke it. They've spent centuries as brothers under the banner of a united empire. But they also treated themselves as independent nations, with independent goals and prospects for the empire's future. Their success, especially after peace treaties with the Shi'Ased solidified, had turned their noble doctrines into a guide for personal growth. And the king of these seven nations: Arkouda, Koraki, Liontari, Nychterida, Lykos, Aetos, and Tigri, has turned bitter with the dynamic they have become rather acquainted with. Land rights, access to trade, access to water or farmland. These things, while minor, tolled in the minds of the soldier who went into battle. Their only concern was defending their people, their homes. So they took up their swords and spears and marched through their own allies to begin a brutal contest that will persist for the next five years. A contest that could have no victors, no true glory. Only loss and grief could be inflicted.

When James got the decree, he knew something was wrong. His father was a brute, but he wasn't a foolish one. While he would cause war in the smaller, rather insignificant kingdoms to their east, it would be beyond idiocy to spark a war within the clans, especially when The Frostlanders to their north are becoming more and more rabid decade. this will only serve to weaken them. But his father refused to hear from him or his sisters. They were instead sent off to fight. With only Aetos and Nychterida staying neutral, this will be a war that will be fought within the most militarized nation on the planet. not only, but Torlak has agreed to lend aid to Liontari and their allies. A bold move by their Grandmaster, but they have always had the closest ties in the Clans. Likewise, Hath has always associated more with Tigri; both benefitted from the mutually shared trading empire they have established in the Southern oceans.

But these alliances, foolish battles, and unwarranted conflict mattered little to any of them, for they foresaw a much greater danger than any civil war. It came with the assassination of James's own mother near the start of this war that they became far more aware of the dangerous organization known as Talin. A tragedy that only temporarily dragged their entire family from the war. She was a beloved figure in the clans, among even the other royal families. Her death, among many, hit them hard. James' mourning was deep and wounding. And this would only be the beginning of a series of murders and assassinations among every other monarchy in the clans. Kings, princes and princesses, dukes and marquis killed in their own home. Throwing thee clans into only further disarray. And while the Clans only saw each other as the enemies, the godslayers of Theurgy once again shall only know this enemy as Talin.

Wilbur walked into the meeting room of the godslayers. It was empty, now. The other god slayers were resting, only recently assembled through much effort. But James has not left this room within the past two days. Just sitting there at the head of the table, a bottle of thick alcohol to accompany him and his misery. He droned through the meetings with the awareness of common cutlery. He might as well not be a godslayer. Even now he seemed one with what was around him. He was not unconscious, but he did loosely cling to the glass bottle he had before him as he gazed half-heartedly at the spinning black globe in the middle of the table. Wilbur walked down to him.

"Drowning in your sorrows?" Wilbur asked him.

"Trying to drown them out," he said in a low voice. "Unfortunately, I have had little luck delving into this supposed drunken madness. All would know I would love to forget all of this."

"Is that really what you desire, James," Wilbur stood next to him.

"In the span of half a year, I've lost my mother, two sisters, and a majority of my family. I'm one of the last of my damn line. My wife . . . My child . . . My nation is in shambles, and my father seems only contempt to crumble it to dust further."