Chapter 26 The Well

Lyse and his companions, rode the hills of Koraki. The stings of the cold rain rejuvenated them and kept them aware. The gloomy skies almost distracted them of their troubles. But then they remembered what exactly tailed them. Their horses pounded the dirt road, their breaths themselves becoming deeper and more haggard. Despite how far they've galloped so far, they were not surprised when they looked behind them to see three figures, cloaks shadowing them into the night. Three Makhai were wounded to an immeasurable degree, yet still, they pursued with purpose unmatched.

Lyse looked down at his mother, limply laying in his lap as they galloped along. She was still not awake, and those green veins still ran up both her arms, pulsing ever so slightly like poison running through her. Lyse tried to keep his mind off of the worst of thoughts and keep it on help. Any help? His arm felt better than before. He tried to focus on avra to heal the broken bone. A clean break won't take long, but the pain was still there as he jostled around. His eyes tunneled, trying to ignore the pain, focusing on the lights on the horizon.

The gap between them and the Makhai was lessening and lessening, closer and closer after each stride. And the horses started to slowly lose their momentum, no matter how much they urged them. They were at their limits, he realized. And the others knew this too. But the city was right there. Just a mile or two on the hills. The river passing just behind it and their ticket for salvation. But the Makhai still loomed and still followed. It did not take long before everyone yet again had blades in their hands, at least those who had cared to sheath them. They were fully prepared to fight if it came down to it. But none of them were confident that they could, in fact, survive. They kept their eyes focused on either the Makhai or forward. Never noticing the large figures in the sky, fluttering on wings of black.

Another mile out, the gate was finally visible along with the high walls that accommodated them. And help. Stationed at the gate were probably ten guards and possibly a knight or two as well. The soldiers did notice several people immediately on horses bulleting through the plains like madmen and the shadowy figure behind them. It was a bit of a confusing sight. But all things were made clear once they heard words being shouted ahead, audible and crisp even from there. The words echoed off of the hillsides to warn. The wind seemed to be still, the only breeze coming from his back as Lyse took a deep breath.

"Rally, those of Koraki, for the enemy is nigh. Brace your shields and swords. Your heart and mind," shouted Lyse, his sword in the air and glowing. It was a call to action. To state where a warrior was from and where they served, they knew immediately what need to be done, and they began to mobilize. Some mounted horses to meet the party head-on, others on foot. Hope began to swell within each of them. The Makhai were practically at their heels blades out to clip their horses. The guards won't make it in time. Just a few letters away. But then, something unexpected happened. A flurry of black feathers descended on them all. Claws and beak. It appeared to be a giant crow, easily the size of a man, that had descended upon them. The Metal encased all sharp extremities and was now ripping into the Makhai within the blink of an eye. It was the most blessed thing any of them had seen. One of the Makhai even had their sword is drawn and just inches away from Gray's horse's back leg. Like that, the Thirians ripped through the already wounded Makhai, one even turning back into a human to give the final blows with clawed gauntlets. Lyse watched as several soldiers zipped past them to handle them well, and they were only stopped at the gate by whoever was left there.

Lyse nearly stumbled off his horse, falling with his mother in his lap. The soldiers' swords were still in hand, but after one look at his mother, they were far more hesitant to attack than to help. Edlund, Elena, and Gray immediately dismounted to help Lyse to his feet as each scrambled for whatever words came to mind. None of it probably made sense, but they did not care. They nearly barreled past the soldiers, only barely catching directions to the nearest doctor. They did not care for the splendor of the city, the looming black structure nestled at its center. To them, there only existed one place in this gathering of wooden boxes. Lyse carried his mother all the way. He ignored the pain and ignored the rushing in his ears. He kicked down the wooden door with one foot and rushed inside.