Chapter 64 Where the Heart Lives

Elena escorted Massia to her temporary rooms. Quite a few royals were roaming the halls at this hour, most she was rather familiar with. Even though it has been nearly half a year since the Trial of Knights, some residual excitement was still echoing in the halls here and there. The most they could pick up was wondering where The four record-breakers had disappeared so suddenly, barely celebrating such a monumental achievement. Of course, any such person would have the right to carry their praise and accomplishments to the highest tiers of heaven. But no, nothing but silence. So seeing two of them was a surprise all in itself. Thankfully they weren't swarming the three of them or any of the sort; Massia seemed already trying to hide in Elena's shadows, avoiding even glancing at those who passed them by.

"Thought this place will be a bit busier," Gray said.

"I'm sure many nobles have taken back to their estates," Elena said, then turned back to Massia, who nervously looked like a group of men, whom Elena recognized as members of Dagmyre's family, passed them by. They did little more than glance and grimace, but she could feel the hatred oozing out of those eyes of theirs. They had been trying to convince her father to convince her to marry Dagmyre, therefore combining their estates and increase their standings among the other houses. Not only did she reject him initially, but she humiliated him in the trials, but she barred him from becoming a knight for the next seven months at least. She did her best to ignore such stares, holding her posture high and mighty as she was taught. "You must show no fear, Massia. They respond to weakness poorly."

"I'm sorry," Massia told her. "It's just a bit jarring. On the other hand, from farms to gilded halls is quite the experience."

"You must not worry; you will adjust," she said. "I'm sure your mother will help in that regard. She seems to know her way around these halls better than myself, the way she handled our king. I bet such a person has a lot to teach you."

"One would think she was the King's mother how she chastised him like that in public," Gray nearly laughed.

"Yeah, she's always been like that," Massia lamented.

"Hopefully, you'll have a lot of time to adjust," Gray took a gracious breath of air. "Man, it feels so good to be back. I honestly didn't care if I had to walk here."

"Yes," Elena said. "You should see if your father's in town or not. You really did leave so suddenly."

"I bet the old man's out on some material-gathering expedition, but sure," he turned on his heels immediately to begin his stride in the opposite direction. "Despite his words, there was haste in his step. "Hope you settle well, Massia. May Fate favor your brothers."

"And here you are," Elena stopped them in front of a set of double doors. Massia could barely believe her eyes just at the doors themselves. Like many of the rooms in this palace, they were carved with imagery of plants and animals along the edges, embellished with gold and silver. The door itself may have been worth more than anything their family had ever owned saved the farm. But when Elena opened them and allowed her inside, she was brought forth into a world she surely must be dreaming of. The entire room itself was perhaps twice the size of their living room. Two beds sat opposite themselves, easily large enough to fit four or five men side by side. Pillows that looked soft enough to drown in, blankets cut from the clouds, and beds that invited her. What had she done to deserve such luxury, or was this so-called luxury was simply the standard care afforded to guests? Either way, she found herself in wonder; no other word could be more appropriate.

"Your mother will be here as well," Elena told her, but Massia was so entranced with the view over the city outside that she barely heard her. Elena just smiled and retreated into the hall. "If you need me, I will be staying a few rooms down for the time, okay?"