Chapter 19 A King's Name

James had much time to himself since the end of the war. He had not expected that. Since the time James Colton was just an heir, he had spent all of his time either learning to talk, learning to speak, practicing the sword, or even how to drink a cup of wine among other nobles. As restrictive this regime was, James was glad to have done it all, as they were all used now and again when he visited other lords, or they visited them, more often the latter than the former. But after the war, there was still much to do to rebuild what they destroyed then. He may know the secrets untold about the war, but the people didn't. He had to work hard to have the people trust the other clans, and the process was slow but sure. He spent a lot of nights alone in his study, reading documents and building legislation that his advisors would help him pen into reality. If not that, he was checking the walls for cracks of defense, walking around town in disguise sometimes to see what the people thought about specific topics or what he or other lords had done as of late. Meetings with the Paladins were sparse, and the time was shorter than years ago. But as of late, things seemed to be boiling again across the land. The unease was impossible to ignore.

But having time for himself was something always treasured. A friend of his once told him that a good long look at a sunset or simply watching the sway of the forest could help you calm the mind and think more clearly. He was always a simple person, that man. James never considered this a negative attribute. On the contrary, he felt better about it. The garden he sat in made that very possible to do now. This green pasture behind the fortress was like a sliver of the forest was cut away and purified; the silence and darkness no longer apparent. His great grandmother, queen Vermall Colton, had it made and the seeds planted at his grandfather's birth. The garden was regularly cared for and often, in winter, decorated with colorful ornaments to keep a sense of liveliness. He always enjoyed walking here, even now. With his wife. Time to forget that he was a king, that people depended on him. Out here, he was just James Colton, a guy sitting in the middle of flowers and grass, enjoying the sun. Such simplicity. Maybe he would have enjoyed being a farmer.

While he wished he had a clear mind, something tickled on the edge of that calm lake. He could feel it, even now. The power from that pendant is stored away in the floorboards of his bed-chamber, inside a box with enough magical wards to kill someone if needed. He kept it all these years, never wearing it but knowing that its powers must be used once again someday. His instinct was right on that one, and he was grateful himself for his restraint when showing Lyse it. The powers sometimes call to him in his dreams. Call to be used, to form whole inside someone. But he knew the consequences, and he vowed never to use it again, even if he could. His hands itched beneath his gloves, but he did not let it bother him. He kept his eyes on the trees before him, his legs crossed on the grass, unbothered by the slight chill in the air. He felt at peace here. There were no Frostlanders, no Shi'Asedians, and nothing Talin involved. Just him, alone.

"I suppose you need time for yourself?" he heard voice wade into the lake of calm. Not disturbing it, but he acknowledged it. Novia stood before him. She wore a dress today, a rare occasion from her native land. Dark brown wool sat beneath a gray cloak and shawl, with a silver belt decorated with Sapphires held against her stomach. A sash of sorts with various bands of color and beads running its length also adorned her shoulder, made from straw or other fiber. Her grey skin complimented all of these things, her beautiful face making them cohesive. Her vibrant orange eyes studied his own like she saw a puzzle ready to be solved.

He sighed in comfort. "To clear one's mind is always a good way to spend time," he told her. He gestured to the ground beside him. "Perhaps you should join me. You are always so stressed, and it's hard to tell if you ever relax, Novia."

She held back a snarl but kept her annoyed tone. "Relaxing is for those who don't want things done."

Despite this, she did sit beside him on her knees. Her dress covered the ground around them. She sighed, not out of comfort but in compliance. "My king, I wish to ask you something. I understand if you do not wish to answer, but as one of your Paladins, and more importantly, a friend perhaps, I believe I may be of service to you if I am up to speed with your dealings."