Chapter 61 Sacred Mind

The forest was quite enchanting and terrifying. When they left the village, Massia actually had to take some time to compose herself. Not just emotionally but mentally. That awakening realization of who she was was a massive shake to her mind. Coupled with the intense emotions that bubbled beneath her, composure was hard to maintain then. She really felt like a child comforted by her mother in front of two knights, but the more she tried to hold it in, the more uncontrollable it became, as if her emotions were fighting her to be freed. By the time her sobbing stopped, they were already deep within the Forest of Silence, the very heart of their kingdom.

She remembers far back into her childhood, as far as she could at least, being told not to wander off into the forest. That was one of the first things that she learned, really. Don't go out at night. Stay away from the monsters. Stay with an adult. Never venture outside the walls. Truth be told, she violated each of these doctrines at one point or another, but always with caution and rarely boldly. That instinctual danger of the dark, the light naturally swallowed by the trees, was haunting no matter how rebellious you think you are. There was something ominous, actively malicious about this forest, but at the same time natural, unbothered what really entered. Beasts roam in droves, and even though it is the winter season, certain precautions had to be taken to avoid being attacked out of the blue. Knights had to ride out far ahead and possibly slay or run off whatever intercepted their paths. She didn't know for sure, but she was sure that it must be nighttime by now. Gray somehow managed to fall asleep, cradling his saber like a doll in his lap. Elena sat silently in contemplation, gripping her sword in an unconscious effort. She was rather attached to the thing since they got it back to her. She should; they had gone through a lot to retrieve it. But there was something more there. It wasn't merely some useful instrument. Massia could tell she cared deeply for the item. And that look of thought, what was she expecting to see when she gets home? For Massia, such a question is nonexistent. She may not return home for a long time. Granted, learning that you are indeed a welcomed guest of the king himself is certainly daunting; she yearns for their home.

Gabbes evenly rode over to their window. "It's clear for now," he said. "We'll find a clearing soon to be able to hunker down till night."

"Good," Celia told him. Despite where they were, Massia found her mother strangely calm and placid. She was not usually this way, certainly not in a place like this. "We should make our trip expedient; the king is expecting us after all."

Gabbes smiled at some sort of inside joke between the two, returning to the head of their line to the very front of their line. As they did settle down, they managed to do so with a fairly large clearing that she did not expect to find in the forest. Still, swooping branches obscured any scenery proved from the sky itself, but the ground of this hidden meadow was relatively flat and large enough for their entire party to rest with what they could. Their tent, a large one supported by one giant pole, sat in the middle of this clearing. The knights, Gabbes, his second hand, then Elena and Gray stayed close to them. Then the soldiers and guards on the outskirts provided the mainline of security. The soldiers set up cooking fires, pots assembled for the small meal. They all gathered around a fire, and Gray's nose led him to take his place next to Elena. Gabbes sat next to Massia and Celia, tending to the dried salted meats being cooked with water to hydrate them. Besides that, bread and water were passed around. It was a nice experience. Like most of the other weird elements of this place, snow rarely met the ground. The air was crisp and cold with no wind, nicely offset by the roaring flame.

"Isn't it dangerous to have flames open at night?" Massia asked.

"In the plains, yes," Celia said. "Mostly because they attract murderous crows and Nemien lions. We had our run-in on our way to retrieve you. But the forest is already so scarce this time of year, and I doubt a monster would even take the opportunity to attack a camp like us."