Chapter 55 Preparations

Run. This is all they are allowed. They had to run and run fast, on the fleetest of feet and with the utmost haste. The darkness that crept upon the land cast its shadows ahead, and that is what Celia had to focus on. They had been running for only three minutes, but hours transpired in that time between each heavy pain. The pain she had to endure from her curse, oh the pain, like hot iron driven across her skin, made this effort ten times its actual cost. Her mind was dull, the shadows of trees that surrounded them becoming enemies, and the land becoming an endless battlefield she traverses. Her eyes burned with sweat, and each breath became more and more of a strain upon herself. The only thing that kept her on her feet was what she held in her arms before her. Massia was still unconscious, murmuring nothing within herself. She had grown heavy in her grasp. She could feel the massive sums of power, the power of creation, her animal instincts, all of it outside her reach. She could only use what was allowed to her, and that was simply to run.

She could sense Elena just behind her. Elena was much slower than Celia usually was. But coupled with the curse and the fatigue of the wound she suffered, she was forced to stick close to her. Elena had told her to go ahead to retrieve Gray, but she once again convinced her that staying together made for a better chance for their survival. Gray's life must rest in his own hands, though Celia knew that against several makhai, they stood no chance whatsoever. The dread followed her, crept within her like a sickness that weakened her will. And then she heard it. First a whistle and then a sickening sound, unmistakable. A blade slicing through flesh and clothing. She turned over her shoulder; the moments slowed to mere crawls in time as multiple things happened at once. Elena was stumbling, a knife embedded in her calf. The makhai had caught up and on their heels. In fact, one already has their hands nearly on Elena's neck. Celia had to make a choice then and there and do it fast. She had no time to ponder. She turned and attempted to separate the two, to give Elena whatever chance she had to get free. She knew this was foolish. She would only be putting herself and Masua in danger. But she did not question her instincts, ever.

The foot impacted heavily into Makhai's chest. If she was stronger, she would have decimated the man, but it was merely enough to startle him. Elena stumbled to a roll, seething through the pain as she wriggled the blade free. Elena tried to get running along, maybe pick up Elena if she could, but before she thought even to do so, she was tackled from behind. The Makhai had them surrounded, surrounded, and completely defenseless. She was tired, not even enough zoi to wrestle against their grasp. The wound in her gut seared even more with pain, not fully healed. Massia dropped her from her loose grass, rolling to a stop and not moving at all. Elena backed away from one holding a sword, ready to attack her. Elena held a sword up as she shuffled, screaming Celia's name with alarm and caution alike. The air grew erratic as the Makhai also attempted to bind both she and Massia in those strange cuffs. This was it then. Then end of her. The end of her life. All she could do was struggle futilely, desperately calling for a power that was not there. Not even her connection to the gods would answer her. not even a blade of grass could bend to her will.

Fate is merciless. He is also cruel.

Silence struck everyone. Elena stopped screaming; The Makhai froze in their tracks. Celia tore in her eyes and panted breath looked about to see what had caused the air, so chaotic before, to freeze suddenly. Winter returned on simple winds, and the beams of the moon dimmed their clarity out of sheer horror. Celia then looked over to where Massia was lying. There she was. She was standing. She was moving. And her eyes were wide open. Those clear blue eyes bounced the beams of the moons through them. But something was off. Despite her sudden arousal, there was a decidedly inhuman quality to the way she swayed, only affected by that simple breeze. Her expression was as dreamy and unaware as to when she slumbered. But why? Why was she holding the head of one of the Makhai in her hands right there?