Chapter 6 Contest of Knights

Lyse sat on his bed, only thinking for the past few hours. Not even unpacking his things, as he understood there was a good chance that it would be useless to come the following day. He has the day to prepare himself, and they told him this. He seemed motionless as he peered at the ceiling, the breeze making his curtain wrinkle and flap. He doesn't know what this obstacle will be, so his only choice is to prepare mentally. The event will make or break him and his dreams and his life. Any search for his sister will be handicapped by what he will do, and his life might be in great peril due to this pendant he now possesses. He lifts it into his hand, the two gems still pulsing ever so faintly. Again he felt that overwhelming power as before, but no visions came to him, and his mind drifted as to what exactly this thing was and why his mother had it.

He thinks back to the moment she gave it to him, thinking it was only a token of her faith and gratitude at the time. Then, remembering the cautious but thankful expression, she dawned on its deliverance. The same presence of the pendant, now that he thinks more about it, always surrounded her. Her explanation is that being around it and her essence may have rubbed off on it. It was a way for her to always keep an eye on him. Now he questioned how much of that was true, who was watching him. Are they watching him even now? He knows little about magic beyond what he was taught in training. The closest they have is harnessing their internal aura to perform feats beyond human capacity. This definition, he knows, translates to the magic used in Torlak, but to a much higher degree. He wondered if this pendant came from Torlak, perhaps.

Before he knew it, the sun had risen higher into the sky, and the afternoon heat began to bake itself into his room. He decided now would be a good time for a bath. It did not take him much effort to find a tub, as the nearest person was eager to point it out. A facility closer to the mountain but conjoined with the rectangular tower of the Knights. Within were several baths, probably a dozen or so. Only half were occupied, and the matrons were quick to assign him a room. He thanked them and bowed his head, a gesture that made them pause a bit before sending him on his way. With a fresh set of clothes prepared, he finally removed his armor and sat them in a bin to be cleaned along with his other clothes near the entrance. The cobblestone floor was slick with steam that rose from the creamy water. Water was dispensed from four bronze lion sculptures. As soon as he dipped his foot into his bath, he felt every muscle shiver from a sudden shock of slackening that enveloped him. He found himself at immediate ease as he submerged himself in the translucent waters. His mind was put to more straightforward thoughts. The soft trickles of the waterfall next to him. He had never felt so at ease, and he thought that he could stay here forever.

Peace was short-lived.

A person yelled excitedly before he could process it and slammed himself into the bath, causing a huge splash that engulfed Lyse, who was pulled from his relaxation. When the waters finally died down, he saw his toothy grin of Edlund.

"I have not seen a bath like this," Edlund said, squirting water out of his mouth. "Smells a bit different, like a newborn calf."

"Thanks for the image, lad," Lyse said as he wiped the water from his eyes. "Didn't take you long to find me. I hoped a little longer."

"You know you'd be bored otherwise," Edlund told him with a chuckle. Lyse honestly likes having Edlund around. Especially now, the last piece of home to follow him here. And it was more than reassuring seeing him unphased by this place. This world is utterly alien to either of them but expected to be owned by them. Edlund was a simple man; he has always been pretty simple, which he liked most about him.

"What will be your weapon?"

The carefree smile faded a bit, and Lyse was reunited with the reality of what was to come the very next morning. He answered surely. "Sword and shield."