Chapter 44 I Am a God

Garath stared at the altar, a beautiful thing that sat in the middle of this chamber. It was simple and unremarkable. It was just a stone slab raised from the ground near chest height. There were no embellishments or anything that pointed to a greater significance. The only thing in this entire room, really, was a bronze brazier which he waited eagerly to alive with flame, signifying a message from her. But for now, he marveled at this simple stone structure, the most beautiful thing he has ever seen. This was where gods were born. This is where men shattered their selves and took up the role of the strongest, the most capable. When he had joined this organization, it wasn't because of some philosophical belief or rule like some others, but pure greed. He deserves this power; he deserves it. So much of his time, fighting in the Arkoudan army to receive little reward. He watched friends and family die, killed in the name of the empire to see his actions shunned in the end. And he nearly was killed, saved by some mysterious doctor.

These things pushed him farther and farther towards Talin. And when he joined, under Umerius, he had been promised that his efforts would amount to something, and he shall take part in the splendors they may receive. And as was promised, he quickly rose to the ranks, becoming a captain of his own group within Talin, and was even promised power beyond his imagination. But then, it all crumbled away. The power he sought vaporized to mist, snatched by the hands of the godlings who claimed the power of the gods for themselves and no one else. Talin was driven to a degraded heap of an organization, its leader perpetually incapable, and its pieces are taken off the board mid-game. And when it all returned, when he threw his support behind someone he knew would take the throne confidently, she turned and shooed him away, stripped him of his men, and gave him new ones, new assignments, and the promises seemed to of been forgotten. He was no better than when he had first joined Talin. He was at square one.

The brazier, filled with a viscous oil, began to emit blue smoke from its surface. He walked over to it, knowing what would be waiting for him. He straightened his coat and peered into the oil, dipping a finger into it to disturb its surface and allow rippled to form and cascade against all sides of the container. Once it did so a few times, the reflections of flames from nearby candles distorted into the image of a woman, ghastly looking and hollowed-eyed. It must be one of those soulless Makhai. They seemed so eerie, and he wonders why they ever decided that they must be reused after such a long time without them. They were a recent reedition to their ranks, far more effective than the regular warriors, but also so cold and dead, like machines than actual thinking creatures. It made his skin crawl just to look at one.

"Our lady will hear a report of the recent assignment, captain Garath," the voice was thin and husky, like a breeze brushing against hair.

"We have captured the godslayer, and the child is still secure. We have eliminated any trace of our movements. I am currently standing by for more orders."

The Makhai seemed to consider for a moment, eyeless sockets pacing the brazier. "She will be pleased. However, you have one more assignment before you may return to central base, general."

He raised an eyebrow, trying to keep his anticipation from showing on his face. "And what is that?"

"The child, the one called Massia. Once her treatment is complete, she is to be used to Plithos Hephaestus."

"What!" he exploded, both hands on the rim of the brazier, looking down at the image that warped from his movement. He breathed in heavily, trying to contain his anger. "I believe that it was agreed that I might be given that one as payment for my efforts for capturing a godling."

"Out lady has decided that you will serve better under a different bargain. Besides, she does not believe you are suitable to become the vessel of the brimstone god."