Chapter 49 The Frozen River

The Nautilus Omega made dock not too far from where the fighting is held. Far enough away to allow them to prepare for what may occur very shortly. Lyse has never seen a conflict like this ever in his life, and he felt somewhat under immense pressure to be grazing it. But still, they have to be prepared. They have little else an option. The crew that Moxie had personally selected began to collect weaponry and armor. It was a strange thing to see on something that was supposed to be a merchant ship, but they all moved in very practiced motions. Not a surprise to Lyse, but it was interesting to witness. The assortment of weaponry was also a bit strange. Firearms and sabers, some shields. Some in armor, some without. Maybe an ax or two. A cooking pot of several nation's most iconic implements of war, more Hath than anything. He himself prepared all he had acquired from Nychterida. The armor was well-fitting and pretty light for armor. It was a lot more comfortable to move in than the armor Gabbes had him wear in his training. The inside was lined with thicker fabric that comprised most of the armor's weight but will keep him decently warm as they travel on. He strapped a kite shield to his back and waited for everyone else to finish their preparations.

Edlund was already geared and ready to get off this boat. He, more than anyone, was glad to get to solid ground for once. He wasn't as bad as Gray, but he was certainly what the sailors called a land crab. Edlund checked that his straps were secured tightly as he joined Lyse on deck. He was carrying a few packs and a shield on his back as well.

"I never thought snow-blanketed fields would be so beautiful, Lyse," he said. "One may think I might rather face frostlanders than stay on this cursed boat."

"Well, we might get our wish," he said. "It's a miracle that we haven't been attacked by either side coming down here. But that just means that they are still in their grace period. The fighting might get intense up ahead, you know."

"Kind of expecting it, brother," Edlund let out a slow breath, letting it drift on past him in the wind. "Hopefully, we can sneak around."

"I heavily doubt that. Scouts will surely notice a hundred and fifty men marching through the snow north. If we are going to get through this, we'll have to pass straight through the conflict."

Makyra finally came aboard the deck, immediately scanning the land around them. They were docked on the rocky shore of the right side of the river, anchored out. The sparse forest to either side of the river hid the vacant, barren hills of the tundra. She was dressed back in her Thirian armor, clawed gauntlets, and all. Even among men and women that were taller than she, her presence and stoic look made her stand out above them and clear them from her path as she joined Lyse and Edlund aboard the deck. Orders were going around to lower the planks; the trek will be soon upon them.

"Look better than ever," Lyse said. "Ready for a run in the snow?"

"More than you two," she said. "It'll be a rough journey east, we can follow the river a great deal, but we'll be battered all the way."

"It will be a treacherous journey, but nothing more than what we have faced so far," Lyse told her. "And this time, we have a bit of help to aid us, don't we."

"Of course you do," they all turned to see moxie climbing down from the navigation deck, a few satchels, and bags in hand, most likely filled with either gunpowder or ammunition. She was in her regular captain's jacket, and a rifle on her back, two pistols strapped to her chest, and a saber sheathed at her belt. this was the most battle-ready either of them had ever seen her. Moxie will be joining them, mostly just to look after her crew, but Lyse liked the company either way. Blij, of course, will be staying behind and look after the Nautilus.

"Ready cubs? " she asked, handing her baggage to a crewman, and shouldered her rifle.

"Of course, we are ready," Edlund said. "Are your men?"